Gen2 Kontour Seat

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I got my stock seat back from Kontour. The seat is still the same shape as stock, as well as alot softer.
The mesh material that it's covered with is hard to see in detail in the pictures.
As soon as you start moving it feels like an air conditioner is blowing on your a$$:laugh:
It has been in the 80's and 90's here and your a$$ feels as cool when you get back as when you left, as well as literally feeling like your sitting on an air conditioner.
I went for severals rides, one with the Kontour and the next with my Corbin, and repeat.
The Corbin(like any other seat)is warm/hot as soon as you sit on it, and gets worse to a point.
As said the Kontour was and stayed amazingly cool throughout(longest ride of about 45 minutes).
However I think it will be terrible in the winter for this reason! 80/90 degree air, and 60's at night feels great, but when the air temp is in the 50's or less, I think I may need to cover it with a trashbag or switch seats.:laugh:
The Kontour also has a decent amount of grip to it. I still found myself gradually sliding forward into the tank though. It holds you in place very well, but you can also move about/slide on the seat easily.
Personally I found the Kontour uncomfortable(the actual covering material itself is very comfortable), but then again I hate the stock seat. I was under the misunderstanding that the seat could be altered twice to fit me, not so apparently.
I also sank through the soft foam to the hard seat pan. I weigh 175lbs, and add 22lbs more for leathers(which I didn't wear; flame on). The foam itself is very comfortable, I just felt as if I need another layer of two for it to feel good for me personally.
I would say that anyone that weighs a little less than me that finds the stock seat comfortable, would love the Kontour. Especially if you live in a hot climate.
I had also originally wanted to send my Corbin seat in for the Kontour conversion, but it was not eligable because I had previously removed the cover to trim some foam. All seats sent must be in stock condition, company policy. I prefer the shape of the Corbin.
The owner also stated that any seat under 2"(which is apparently how they're classing the Busa or any sportbike seat, as this is the first they've ever done) is not eligable for the refund. But, considering how the seat fell so short of my expectations he would make an exception.
I ask politely why it was so hard to add some thicker and wider foam. He stated that would fall under a full custom job, as opposed to a stock recover, which was what I got.
$375 for the stock recover....double that for a custom, yes $750!!! Plus the Shipping both ways, as well as I'de have to pay to send it back. Then they would put my seat back with stock foam and a vinyl cover, and I'de have to pay for that to be shipped back to me. Or cough up another $375. No thanks.
I was disapointed as it really is a great seat, just not for me personally. I've sucessfully done several seat modifications over the years. After discussing this with the owner he offered to send me some free material and covering, and enough to do it twice should I make a mistake. He also mentioned what I'de already been thinking, I can use my Corbin seat instead. I've already done some trimming, adding of foam, and a gel pad in my Corbin. So now I can perfect it:laugh:
This has cost me entirely too much money with shipping and buying another stock seat, so I'm happy to have the opportunity to make a seat that fits me perfectly.
I've had a back injury and the comfort of a seat will make or break a bike for me anymore. So keep in mind I'm very picky and I've tried several different seats.
As mentioned, it's hard to see in the pictures the details of the mesh seat covering. So the pics are nothing special.

That stinks. Sorry man.. I for one was really hoping this was gonna be the end all be all seat.. I'll stick with my Corbin for now I guess.. :banghead:

No idea.
I can't see them either unless I click on them.
Can you not see them at all?

Now who will take the next step and do a day long ride seat? Sorry to hear it did not workout with the Kontour seat.

wow that is one expensive seat.... did you find gold in it? ? ? ?

Sorry to hear it wasnt that good :down:

I plan to get the RDL seat, but have to save up the funds first. I am probably looking at October time frame for ordering.

I shot emails back and forth with Six earlier this week when the forum was down. We both came to the conclusion that the Kontour is not for either of us based on his experiences and talking to the owner.

I plan to keep my Corbin until the RDL is on my bike and I am happy with it. Once I have it, I may sell the Corbin, or just keep both for different times of riding.

Sorry bout the seat.
I too can't see your pics, only 'attachment 222345'. When I click on that it says invalid link?
I was also having a difficult time trying to upload a pic. Used to be the little window would pop up but now it's a bit more involved.

Sorry bout the seat.
I too can't see your pics, only 'attachment 222345'. When I click on that it says invalid link?
I was also having a difficult time trying to upload a pic. Used to be the little window would pop up but now it's a bit more involved.

Can you see this one?View attachment 230493View attachment 230493

Also, I leave hayabusa.org open in a window all day. If I get time I check it. Now if the laptop goes in sleep mode or I leave the window I have to sign in again on the org. Seems there's a few bugs to work out yet.

I plan to get the RDL seat, but have to save up the funds first. I am probably looking at October time frame for ordering.

I shot emails back and forth with Six earlier this week when the forum was down. We both came to the conclusion that the Kontour is not for either of us based on his experiences and talking to the owner.

I plan to keep my Corbin until the RDL is on my bike and I am happy with it. Once I have it, I may sell the Corbin, or just keep both for different times of riding.

I'm going to keep it and mod it myself. It's costing entirely too much, but I'm confident I can make a seat that's near perfect...for me. The fact that it flows so much air is unlike any seat I've ever ridden on too. Excellent for warm weather!:beerchug:

Kontour has very poor feedback on other forums due to cust service shortcomings and comfort shortcomings. I'd not use one. I'll stick with my Corbin and bead cover. The beads offer the same cooling effect in the hot weather and can be removed in the winter.

Can you see this one?View attachment 230493View attachment 230493

Also, I leave hayabusa.org open in a window all day. If I get time I check it. Now if the laptop goes in sleep mode or I leave the window I have to sign in again on the org. Seems there's a few bugs to work out yet.

No. Screenshot from my iPhone. Says invalid link.
View attachment 230494

Crap! Now I can't get a pic to display? Used photobucket earlier to post a pic and now all it says is 'attachment 230494'?

Kontour has very poor feedback on other forums due to cust service shortcomings and comfort shortcomings. I'd not use one. I'll stick with my Corbin and bead cover. The beads offer the same cooling effect in the hot weather and can be removed in the winter.
That's cool about the beads, never heard of that before.
The stock seat, my Corbin, my gel, all the seats with the exception of the New Image slant to the front towards the tank, and I hate that. The New Image doesn't work for me either as I hate the hump on the back and the front is too thin. I've greatly improved the comfort on my Corbin already, so I'm just going to keep trying until I get what I need.
I see Speigler handlebars in my future too. I need to be a little more upright than the heli-bars and .75 risers I all ready have. That'll help my seating position.:beerchug:

Back