gen2 instrument panel removal

baleibec

Donating Member
Registered
here's how to properly remove the gauges and surrounding trim on a gen2 busa without breaking anything:whistle: first remove the two small push pins thats close to where your mirrors bolt up. next remove the two larger push pins that are under the bars. also remove the 3 allen bolts that hold the pieces together, one on each side, one in the center.

100_1556.jpg

now you can remove the lower trim piece, it should come of with no problems. dont forget to remove the large push pins that connect some more pieces (red arrow)

100_1558.jpg

now for the tricky part, you gotta pull, preferrably from the sides, and slowly tug at the top trim piece to get it to come loose, its just clipped on, but it is tight. take your time, and alternate the sides you tug on. sometimes pushing down on the top helps, but dont get too agressive

100_1559.jpg

and you now have access to enough room to mount your h.i.d. ballasts, adjust lights or run wires to your accessories

100_1562.jpg

if you remove the tow silver bolts, you can simply tug at the instrument cluster to remove it, you can even disconnect it completely by releasing the connector at the rear of the gauges, heres a pic

100_1564.jpg

if your going h.i.d. all you gotta do is remove the splash pan under the headlight, which is held in entirely by those little push pins. removing it helps you manover the new hardware in place. by the way, those are the same ballasts that the gen1 busa uses.

the whole diss-assembly took about 10 min, but i've removed it once before (for the h.i.d. conversion) if ya'll want any pics of any part, let me know. i wont get arround to puting it back together for a day or two (trying to find some led 197a bulbs:banghead: hope this comes in handy for ya'll, ya helped me out alot already:bowdown:

One added thought...be careful to not push in the rubber grommets at the back of the cluster, when reinstalling it. They might drop into the dark void and be nearly impossible to find and retrieve.

Good instructions, brother!!! That's how it works, folks!

thanks for reminding me on that, i actually droped one of those allen bolts in the process, its a definate pucker factor when you hear a bolt fall and you cant find it???, also, be carfull not to mix the large push pins, they can be misplaced:whistle:

Great article with pics...would like to add a few of my own since I have been on and off with the instrument cluster several times lately. Guys, don't be afraid to tackle this. Just take your time and don't force anything. Believe it or not the Suzuki engineers did a great job with the layouts. Please see the attachments...
1. on the back of the instrument cluster is a plastic clip with the wire harness. The trick that they don't tell you about in the book is that there is a release mechanism on the back of the clip. So, as you reach your left hand in, once the panel is pulled out from the grommets, it is on the backside of the clip. Just push on the little plastic release pin and off she comes.
2. just some more pics to show some of the nuances of the back of the instrument panel, grommet holes, upper panel pins and catches..etc...men are visual...ha ha

DSC02955.JPG

DSC02956.JPG

DSC02958.JPG

DSC02959.JPG

Picture instructions like this help tremendously when it comes time to do something back there like the HID's I like.:beerchug::thumbsup::bowdown:

the whole diss-assembly took about 10 min, but i've removed it once before (for the h.i.d. conversion) if ya'll want any pics of any part, let me know. i wont get arround to puting it back together for a day or two (trying to find some led 197a bulbs:banghead: hope this comes in handy for ya'll, ya helped me out alot already:bowdown:

I have some LED towers on the way for those, i should have them later this week!

OUTSTANDING I've been wanting to do the HID conversion but had no guide how to do it. Thanks much!

Great detail, quick question for the all knowing though. How do you remove the face of the instrument panel for say, new face plates for the gauges?

Great detail, quick question for the all knowing though. How do you remove the face of the instrument panel for say, new face plates for the gauges?

havent reied that yet, but it has screws all arround the perimiter of the gauge back, im guessing you gust unscrew it:whistle:

Back