Gen2 fork bottoms on Gen1?

Teslalfan

Registered
I'm wanting monoblock calipers on my bike. I have an 05 busa that I have resprung and valved so I want to keep these forks. Can I just replace the fork bottoms on my bike with gen2 bottoms? If so, what else will be involved? i.e. axle,wheel,fender...etc
I have steel brake lines, ebc HH pads, stock master and calipers. I want the radial set-up.

@Teslalfan

yes
basically gen2 fork bottom and gen1 fork top tube fit together.

1st but
then you need not only the gen2 brake calipers but also the gen2 rims together with the gen2 axle and the brake discs of the gen2,
because the gen1 and gen2 discs have different diameters.

and also the brake lines have to be replaced by new because the angles of the banjos (of the gen1) don't fit the new calipers.

and if you want to change to radial calipers at all, only the brembo from the l3 (2013 and younger) are recommended.

they are a lot better than the tokico from '08-'12.

2nd but

your plan to switch to gen2 sounds to me as if you are not satisfied with the braking performance of the original tokico 6-piston calipers.
in this case i recommend to subject the saddles to a deep cleaning, as i describe on my homepage
and to repeat this deep cleaning every 30-35 000 km.

usually it doesn't even need new gasket sets according to my dozens of experiences.

that costs alone a few hours and one liter of DOT4 and something else (from MY direct experience on the gen1)

in conjunction with the (often demonized) so-called purely organic pads from EBC, you then have wonderful braking performance and the discs thank you with a much longer life.

these pads alone only last about 20,000 km for ME - then I have to replace them.

AND

if you really want to invest some money in the brake for other components i recommend the 17mm diameter radial brake pumps e.g. the ducati 749 / 999.

with this (and the deep cleaning) one achieves a super fine dosing in the brake, which is unparalleled - so my direct experience with my own gen1.
costs?
i bought such a used pump for about 150€ here in europe.

good luck :)

@Teslalfan

yes

1st but
then you need not only the gen2 brake calipers but also the gen2 rims together with the gen2 axle and the brake discs of the gen2,

and also the brake lines have to be replaced by new because the angles of the banjos (of the gen1) don't fit the new calipers.

and if you want to change to radial calipers at all, only the brembo from the l3 (2013 and younger) are recommended.

2nd but

your plan to switch to gen2 sounds to me as if you are not satisfied with the braking performance of the original tokico 6-piston calipers.
in this case i recommend to subject the saddles to a deep cleaning, as i describe on my homepage

usually it doesn't even need new gasket sets according to my dozens of experiences.

that costs alone a few hours and one liter of DOT4 and something else (from MY direct experience on the gen1)

in conjunction with the (often demonized) so-called purely organic pads from EBC, you then have wonderful braking performance and the discs thank you with a much longer life.

these pads alone only last about 20,000 km for ME - then I have to replace them.

AND

if you really want to invest some money in the brake for other components i recommend the 17mm diameter radial brake pumps e.g. the ducati 749 / 999.

with this (and the deep cleaning) one achieves a super fine dosing in the brake, which is unparalleled - so my direct experience with my own gen1.
costs?

Once again excellent advice and well written too Frank… you are a master tech on the Hayabusa’s in my opinion.
Thanks for taking the time to write your piece of advice to this new member.
You are a valued member here Frank, thanks from kiwi.

You can keep your Gen 1 forks with the axial fork lower , by using a adapter radial mount that bolts up to the original axial caliper bolt holes . This one in the link i provide will bolt straight up to your fork lower and fit your axle / disc offset and width , but maybe new brake lines for length and banjo angle ., You will also have to choose 100mm mount radial calipers , so the later 13+ Gen 2 Brembo M4 108 mm mounted caliper , will not fit for example . You will be able to find a lot of 100mm radial calipers such as high end GP4-RX( both 108mm or 100mm available ) , cast monobloc M50 Brembo, usually European motorcycle use this such as Ducati . Some other companies might make a similar type of adapter mount , but fit 108mm calipers . Beringer brakes also do a nice bracket mount for Gen 1 to run their superlight weight calipers .

Last edited:
@Teslalfan

yes

1st but

2nd but

AND

costs?

Good information and thank you.

You can keep your Gen 1 forks with the axial fork lower , by using a adapter radial mount that bolts up to the original axial caliper bolt holes . This one in the link i provide will bolt straight up to your fork lower and fit your axle / disc offset and width , but maybe new brake lines for length and banjo angle ., You will also have to choose 100mm mount radial calipers , so the later 13+ Gen 2 Brembo M4 108 mm mounted caliper , will not fit for example . You will be able to find a lot of 100mm radial calipers such as high end GP4-RX( both 108mm or 100mm available ) , cast monobloc M50 Brembo, usually European motorcycle use this such as Ducati . Some other companies might make a similar type of adapter mount , but fit 108mm calipers . Beringer brakes also do a nice bracket mount for Gen 1 to run their superlight weight calipers .
Good information. Thanks for the link. I like this, if I'm still not happy after radial master cylinder I will probably go this route

Last edited:
@Teslalfan

yes

1st but

2nd but

AND

costs?

I will definitely be using a radial master cylinder. Plan was to do that first along with a rebuild on the calipers and see how well that works before proceeding with adapting mono block calipers. I may well not need them at that point. My braking is not terrible as it is right now I'm just wanting that one finger performance.

Back