gen2 crank to gen1 need degreeing the original cams?

feket663

Registered
Dear All! My friend want change the original crankshaft in his 04 Busa to gen 2. If he stay the original cams, he need degreeing ?(due the 1mm spacer under the cyl. block). Thanks for help.

If he has stock gen 1 pistons that doesn't automaticaly mean a 1mm spacer is needed to correct the quench distance after installing a 2 mm crank. He could benefit by delaying the closing of the intake if using stock gen 1 cams though and retiming the exhaust cam even without the 2mm crank.

Need more info but if he has stock Gen 1 cams reset at 106/103 and try for .034-036 piston to head clearance during mock up. He can stack .010 OEM base gaskets and buy .005 if needed. Recommend OEM head gasket.

So, does he have oem pistons and cams ? No turbo or blower ?

If he has stock gen 1 pistons that doesn't automaticaly mean a 1mm spacer is needed to correct the quench distance after installing a 2 mm crank. He could benefit by delaying the closing of the intake if using stock gen 1 cams though and retiming the exhaust cam even without the 2mm crank.

Need more info but if he has stock Gen 1 cams reset at 106/103 and try for .034-036 piston to head clearance during mock up. He can stack .010 OEM base gaskets and buy .005 if needed. Recommend OEM head gasket.

So, does he have oem pistons and cams ? No turbo or blower ?

The bike totally stock, without turbo and supercharger. In beginning of this year he replaced the crankshaft bearing, but not checked the top end components, and the bike burned about 3/4 gallon oil in 1500 miles (without smoking), my friend not checked the oil level and he heard knocking noise from engine, and the crank and bearing run down... I have a gen2 crank from wrecked bike and I want help him, because in Hungary doesn't have a large selection of used parts, and the new part is very expensive.
I think, if he don't use the 1mm spacer, the compression will increase too much, really? We don't want this. If possible, we don't want degreeing cams.

Thanks for help and sorry for my bad english!

Thanks for help and sorry for my bad english!

No need to appologize. It's fine.

I see it now as a repair instead of performance upgrade. He will be fine without degreeing the cams. Try to reuse multiple stock base gaskets if possible because of expensive cost.

Be sure and clean the oil cooler and rest of oiling system of debris. Good luck .

I think, if he don't use the 1mm spacer, the compression will increase too much, really? We don't want this.

You will be fine with .015 or so negative deck height. Just mock it up on assembly and post if needed . I'll calculate the compression if needed.

Back