Gen1 Rcc Turbo Home Brew...

Thread update:

Went down to the dyno and began running in the bike a little under some load. After run in the tuning started. Overall it went very well with only a small electrical issue which was caused by a pin not seated all the way in a plug. Easy fix!
So we stopped at 18 psi with a very conservative tune 11:6 afr and with -6 degrees pulled we netted 340 hp. With the differences in fuel between the U.S and Aus its better to heir on the side of caution. We did have a problem with the clutch and on those 18lb pulls it was flaring/ slipping badly. Luckily no major damage was done and the parts are on the way to fix it up.

Very very happy at the end of the build and cant wait to put some miles on it. At the end of the day its more than enough hp for a street bike, the tune and getting years out of it is the top priority.

Thankyou Frank @ Powerhouse for the support through this process, also thankyou Rob at Boosted and Richard at RCC. Very satisfied customer and will recomend anyone reading this to contact these guys first if your thinking of going turbo.

Glen

yea thats gonna hurt quite a few feelings out there including the H2 or watever else likely which I can't wait to find come spring time....:firing:

lovn that stealth filter. I went up against quite a few bikes on bike nite and if they were positioned to my left they never even knew I had a Turbo and wud put bus lengths on them and they wud ride up shaking their head like WTF lol jus happened. it was priceless to see.... now I have a big ass filter hanging out so its a little harder to fool ppl now lol

340 hp is exactly wat I made last year and let me tell ya that is BRUTAL on the street. make sure ur pointed forward and have lots of open road wen u go WFO with that. ur gonna be in for quite a surprise....

Last edited:
Hey brother nice build. I'm currently undergoing the same project. I plan on purchasing all of my turbo parts and doing the install on the stock motor. My first question is how much boost can the stock engine handle. I've gotten all sorts of numbers from different people no one seems to have the answer. After I get a minimum setting about 6 months down the road I will have purchased pistons rods and all the internals to support 300hp. Like you that's all I'm looking for but the catch is I want to do all the work myself with the exceptions of the tune. My major problem is that none of the builders want to give any information up unless they perform all the work which sucks. So are there any other hang ups you ran into with the build? Also what brand turbo was that I would like to compare it to the one I plan on purchasing. I'm looking at a VMS Racing GT15 turbo the thing I found the most attractive is that it's very small and has a power range of 100-225hp which is perfect for me.

Hey brother nice build. I'm currently undergoing the same project. I plan on purchasing all of my turbo parts and doing the install on the stock motor. My first question is how much boost can the stock engine handle. I've gotten all sorts of numbers from different people no one seems to have the answer. After I get a minimum setting about 6 months down the road I will have purchased pistons rods and all the internals to support 300hp. Like you that's all I'm looking for but the catch is I want to do all the work myself with the exceptions of the tune. My major problem is that none of the builders want to give any information up unless they perform all the work which sucks. So are there any other hang ups you ran into with the build? Also what brand turbo was that I would like to compare it to the one I plan on purchasing. I'm looking at a VMS Racing GT15 turbo the thing I found the most attractive is that it's very small and has a power range of 100-225hp which is perfect for me.
Thanks man!

I think the general consensus out there for a safe boost level on a non decompressed engine is 7-8 psi on a gen 1 which should put you around 250hp, and on a gen 2 4 psi which is around 230hp. Im no expert Terrence which is why I strongly encourage you to get with a reputable shop like the ones i have mentioned above and even if you only get your parts through them you will still get that CUSTOMER SUPPORT for your build which is priceless. I got my kit and all my parts through Powerhouse and as a result i also had someone to refer to regarding clearances and best practices as i went through my build up.

Its awefully expensive to do it right but let me tell you when you first start it/dyno it/ ride it the money isnt even relevant anymore. Theres no going back!!

Good luck
Glen

Terrence i would not use that turbo on a modern 600 much less a busa
small busa turbo would be a gt28, big something like a gt40 , try looking at the bigger variants of gt28 & std gt30 or mid sized t3/t4

Wow got it. What is the reasoning for that? I really want to keep it as stealthy as possible. I will look into the ones you recommended but not looking to have an airplane engine sticking out the side of my bike. Clean and stealthy is what I'm really looking for.

Does any one know what the stock size rod is for an gen 1 I'm trying to purchase a direct fit that doesn't require a spacer for my turbo application. I see connecting rods for turbo application but all require a spacer. Just curious what are the standard specs for a gen 1.

Does any one know what the stock size rod is for an gen 1 I'm trying to purchase a direct fit that doesn't require a spacer for my turbo application. I see connecting rods for turbo application but all require a spacer. Just curious what are the standard specs for a gen 1.

It is not the connecting rod that necessitates the spacer, its the pistons. If you want a piston that does not require a spacer, get the CP/Carrillo turbo pistons . . .

Well thank you all Glen has built a stunning Busa. I am very very lucky to be the new owner of this masterpiece. I would love to find the pictures posted on this forum as I am building a history of this bike.

Any help will be appreciated. Also any way of researching the entire history of this bike would be amazing.

Anyone know of a VINwiki platform for the history of amazing bikes?

Back