Gen1 Rcc Turbo Home Brew...

SNAFU

Registered
Gday all, let me introduce myself as its my first real post on the forum even though I have been lurking for months soaking up information to help me through my build. I'm Glen, I live down in Australia just north of Sydney and this is my first Hayabusa. The bike is a 2007 Gen1 in black, and it has been looked after its whole life by an elderly bloke that only put 7000mi on it. Its in immaculate condition.
So.. I got the bike with the intent of having a turbo streetbike with 300hp that had outstanding reliability and rideability and I wouldn't hesitate to jump on and ride anywhere I wanted. Also wanted to keep it stock looking as possible so no arm etc. This is where boost control is paramount;) Keeping this in mind I got an Rcc Stage 1 with Ultra 1000 Plenum with seconsaries via Frank @ Powerhouse. And I must say, anyone thinking of going turbo give Frank a call, to have someone that replies to all your emails and answers all your calls as you go through the motions of putting together such a project bike is worth its weight in gold. Thankyou Frank!
The build up consisted of the following:
  • Full engine rebuild with new bearings, seals etc
  • Wossner rods
  • Ceramic coated Wossner pistons
  • .080" base spacer
  • Cometic head gasket
  • 65lb valve springs
  • Adjustable cam gears set cams at 105/105
  • HV oil pump gear
  • Pro mod studs
  • NLR Boost compensated clutch
  • APE H/D output shaft
  • Undercut trans
  • Starter pins and sleeve
  • RCC Stage1 with RCC ultra 1000 and secondary injectors (hot side HPC ceramic coated locally)
  • Gen2 radiator
  • E Boost 2 boost controller
  • Powermod ECU with onboard MAP sensor(local product that works well, drives secondaries too)
  • 18/40 with EK 3D
  • + all the other usual little stuff....
You will notice that the heat exchanger and pump etc aren't as per a normal kit from RCC. I originally sourced a W/A plenum from another stateside company who shall not be named that caused me a poop tonne of headaches trying to get to fit, long story short the 2 plenums( yes 2!!!) were never going to work and cost me a heap of money that i'm still chasing. Called Frank and ordered what I should have got up front, an Ultra 1000. So the pump ( Bosch 010) and heat exchanger were locked in early in the piece based on the plenum choice. DOH!!!! It should still be fine based on the specs and Richards approval.

I have tried hard to do everything to the highest standard. Speedflow AN fittings on everything, Kevlar DAS sleeving on fuel hoses to prevent a rub through and Speedflow fire sleeve on Intercooler hoses and some signal lines to prevent heat induction and/or a rub through over time. Also fuel feed has been welded on, fuel return utilises and quick connect like stock but with -6 AN fitting. Turbo drain has also been TIG welded to prevent any future problems. The intercooler pump was also wrapped and insulated.
So I know everyone loves pictures and I will be the first to admit I'm computer illiterate so I'm just going to upload all the photos in build sequence and let the pictures tell the story.
I do want to thank:
  • Frank at Powerhouse for all the help through my build
  • Richard from RCC turbo also for your customer service
  • Greg Watters (ozbooster) for heat exchanger and valuable guidance
  • Seb at NLR
  • Leonard Azzopardi
The bike will be on the dyno on Feb 2nd and I will update all with how it goes:) cant wait for that first ride!!
Cheers
Glen

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG

Welcome Glen. I'm not far from you (inner west Sydney)... also a Gen 1 turbo, also sorted by Leonard Azzopardi.
Look forward to meeting you...

Welcome Glen. I'm not far from you (inner west Sydney)... also a Gen 1 turbo, also sorted by Leonard Azzopardi.
Look forward to meeting you...

Gday Pan, funny i just got off the phone with Legend and he mentioned your bike! Im sure a catch up is in order once i get her all sorted

Reactions: pan
Glen, your bike is beautiful . . . the install looks great, you do nice work! Please let us know how the tune goes and get back with that first-ride impression. If anything comes up along the way, don't hesitate to email or call, I am here if you need me. Good luck going forward! :)

Fantastic job!!!

Why do I have a feeling it was SRP that was causing you issues...?

Rob, after hearing the story and all the money that was invested for parts that did not fit, along with the fact that he is STILL waiting for a proper refund, I am very surprised that Glen did not mention what shop was the cause. I give him a LOT of credit for that! When you add the fact that Australia is on the other side of the world, you would think a vendor would go OUT OF HIS WAY to make sure something is right before it ships. I gotta respect a customer who does not bad mouth a shop, especially when that shop deserves it!

Frank & Rob,
thanks for the kind words, i have seen the quality of work that rolls out your shops and its a credit to you both.
And Rob- loose lips sink ships

Frank & Rob,
thanks for the kind words, i have seen the quality of work that rolls out your shops and its a credit to you both.
And Rob- loose lips sink ships

Thanks!

You never know who else you may save by letting the public know.

Very nice build done the right way
Post back on how you like the boost compensated clutch. Heavy springs get tiring and boost would be sweet.
what kind of coating is on the dump pipes?

Very nice build done the right way
Post back on how you like the boost compensated clutch. Heavy springs get tiring and boost would be sweet.
what kind of coating is on the dump pipes?

Thanks Shade! Will do regarding the clutch. And the coating on the hot side was done locally in Australia by HPC. I also had piston crown & skirts done by them at the same time.

Thats come up real nice Glen, coatings finish it off well
Had a ride yet ?

Cheers Greg! I guess a bit of build creep crept in along the way!! Only rode it up my street to check gearbox/clutch / leaks etc and cut a filter.I will leave it now until the dyno to get those rings seating correctly. Looking forward to 2nd feb.

Back