Votes: 8 66.7%
  • built motor

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • gen2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

busakiller

Registered
iam looking to make my gen1 fast but I want to spend my money right.

I have looked into having the motor built to a 1397
I have looked into turbo kits
I have looked into doing a gen2 motor swap

my question is whats my best opition to making the most power for the stuff I want to use my bike for.

I do drag race my bike and would like to run 8s with it. but I also want to do some standing mile races with a goal of hitting that magic number 200 mph.

right now my bikes mods are

1 inch flat pan
murray sidewinder
12 over swingarm
cut forks
3/4 fairning
12 over tail
pcv
auto tuner
quick shifter
small air box mod
alum subframe
mirror block offs
lowering triple tree
low profile front tire
8 up in the rear

I have a spray bar and jets for 20 shot to 70 shot. I haven't used the spray bar yet on the bike but I have sprayed it by fogging the air box.

I know I should be able to get into the 8s on the bottle but iam looking to do it with out a bottle.

$4800 for a 1397 from bill carpenter (not including shipping the bike)
$4350 rcc turbo kit stage one
$3000 gen2 motor with everything

if i do the gen2 swap i would have to buy a new power commander or the stuff to flash the ecu and do valve springs so i can use nitrous.

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?

the gen II motor swap is a waste. go with the Stg 1 Turbo kit. far better bang for buck and u can always add to it and upgrade. the 1397 won't give u as much hp as the Turbo kit will and will Turbo kit will still ride like stock. u will need a boost controller tho.

Scratch Gen2 motor swap off your list..... Not worth the trouble.

The way your talking and what you plan on doing a stage 1 turbo ain't gonna be enough either.... 99% of the guys who go stage 1 regret it and wind up upgrading to the better kits. You could slap on a stage 1 to a stock motor and have a lil fun with it but your gonna want more.... It's the nature of the beast :race:

99% of the guys who go stage 1 regret it and wind up upgrading to the better kits.
u can add to the kit as u go along. 270 hp is more then enough for many and add an alky kit and ur up over 300 on stock internals. but i agree one will want more. 300 hp wud bore me these days.

Sell your gen 1 and buy a '12 or newer zx14 if you want 8s. Lest you fall into our trap and have $15k into your gen 1. You can basically leave the 14 stockish and sell and get your moneys worth after. Those of us who chased the dragon with turbos or nitrous builds are totally screwed.

u can add to the kit as u go along. 270 hp is more then enough for many and add an alky kit and ur up over 300 on stock internals. but i agree one will want more. 300 hp wud bore me these days.

I say leave it stock height and SWB with 300hp. Shouldn't bore you that much. ;)

well I guess I will look for a turbo kit then. hopefully find one on sale or something. I would be happy with anything under 270 hp. I just want it reliable. lol

I can tell you, I thought I was going to be ok with xxxhp. Everyone laughed at me. I bought a stage one. 3 months later I needed more and I would have saved a ton by just listening to them. Don't do this the hard way. Buy a motor. A stock one used (or that one on psychobike built by Knecum). Have it built while you enjoy your bike. Good parts. Everyone here knows what you need. 270 isn't going to satisfy you for long and its tear your motor down and get it built and be without your bike for decades. So don't waste your money with a stage one kit thinking your stock motor will be ok. Take your time and enjoy your bike. A stock busa is a nice and reliable bike. How reliable is anything with a shitton of power? Develop your clutch hand with it as is while you slowly build up your other motor and read up and hunt for a kit. Brett says the magic # is around 335 or something. When your built motor is done, sell your stock motor and use that money towards a kit. This is a journey. You cant get fast fast, and its going to cost you incrementally more than you thought. Did I mention develop that clutch hand?

Honestly, there should be more total built kits for the motorcycle community. Such as:

You supply said motorcycle

Built engine - Supports 500hp
Complete turbo kit - Supports 300-500hp
How to own and operate a turbocharged motorcycle class
Riding lessons
Racing lessons
Expect 1 day in a classroom and 3 days on the road, dragstrip and road track.

Drive in/Drive out -- $25,000

Honestly, there should be more total built kits for the motorcycle community. Such as:

You supply said motorcycle

Built engine - Supports 500hp
Complete turbo kit - Supports 300-500hp
How to own and operate a turbocharged motorcycle class
Riding lessons
Racing lessons
Expect 1 day in a classroom and 3 days on the road, dragstrip and road track.

Drive in/Drive out -- $25,000
adding on:
3 days of clutch/chassis setup.
2 days of just launch, bring 6 clutch packs

We didn't even tell the OP his chassis is now as is important if not more so than hp.

Sell your gen 1 and buy a '12 or newer ZX 14 if you want 8's.

Lest you fall into our trap and have $15,000 into your gen 1.

You can basically leave the 14 stock and sell and get your moneys worth after.

Those of us who chased the dragon with turbos or nitrous builds are totally screwed.

Just ride the bike you have until you reach it's limits ~ then upgrade to the bike you really want . . .

The lower HP Gen I Busas can net similar ETs if setup right and the rider isn't some old fat ass. Why? Cause it is easier to ride.
May not trap high MPH like the newer ZX14s but the last time I checked trap speeds do not win drag races.

Now if all you do is the ghey roll on races then get the most powerful bike or add-on you can afford

what makes u think someone can't go drag racing and roll on racing? not sure why u think racing a bike is limited to one or the other. and trap speeds tell you what kinda of HP ur making so if ur bike doesn't trap high then it aint fast period. I don't care what ur 60 foot or 330 is. and plenty of ZX-14's both trap a high speed and launch fine and do well in the 1/4.

in fact, its much easier and cheaper to go fast with a ZX-14 then it is a Busa simply cause they make more POWER!

The lower HP Gen I Busas can net similar ETs if setup right and the rider isn't some old fat ass. Why? Cause it is easier to ride.
May not trap high MPH like the newer ZX14s but the last time I checked trap speeds do not win drag races.

Now if all you do is the ghey roll on races then get the most powerful bike or add-on you can afford

Back