GEN1 help Needed (steering damper)

mihaink

Registered
My teering damper has so much space (fair play up and dowm ) when searching with hand. Is it normal guys?

Question 2: How do you add/change oil. I felt (touched) a tap at the right side under the damper body. Will I change the oil from that point?

And finaly how do you inspect that oil must be added/changed? Mine seems so soft both right to left and left to right directions.

Greetings to all from İstanbul / Turkiye

up and down play is normal. Of course it shouldn't be bouncing around though. The little plastic spacers may be cracked or damaged giving it more play than usual. As for the damper feeling soft means it may be time for new oil. You'll have to take the damper off the bike. unscrew the drain and pump the rod until you get as much of the oil out as possible. To refill with new oil I found it easiest for me to submerge the whole damper in the oil and pump the rod until there's no more bubbles. After that just put the drain screw back in, clean / wipe down the damper and then just reinstall. If you go with 90w oil you'll feel a big difference in how stiff the damper is.

.... If you go with 90w oil you'll feel a big difference in how stiff the damper is.

90w oil, are you serious? The stock oil is like 5w, when I switched out the oil in my damper I used fork oil in there as I had some extra that was like 15w and it tightened things up just fine for me. 90w oil stands a good chance to blow a seal as 90w is GEAR oil. But if it works for you then ride on. :thumbsup:

yup never had any problem for years. The OE damper is so sloppy to begine with. If it's to stiff then you can go down to say 30w. I wouldn't go lower than 15w though.

:worthless: :welcome: TO THE ORG. but i need to see what u guys are talking about because im noticing a leak in my rite fork so i want to know how to add change oil in them as well if anyone can post a few pics.

90w oil, are you serious? The stock oil is like 5w, when I switched out the oil in my damper I used fork oil in there as I had some extra that was like 15w and it tightened things up just fine for me. 90w oil stands a good chance to blow a seal as 90w is GEAR oil. But if it works for you then ride on. :thumbsup:

90W is the grade of the gear oil. You are right that this would equate to the grade of somewhere (don't remember correctly) like 20W - 30W weight of motor oil.

And, after I filled my damper with 90W gear oil, I put the damper in the freezer to test how it would move in such extreme conditions. It took a lot more effort, but it moved. Since then, I rode in subfreezing temperatures a number of times, and barely noticed the effort.

Isn't this forum great?? i have been wondering about this for a while, Well done Mihaink for bringing it up and all the answers

Huw
06 Gen1, UK, Raining, ???

Isn't this forum great?? i have been wondering about this for a while, Well done Mihaink for bringing it up and all the answers

Huw
06 Gen1, UK, Raining, ???

You'r well come :)
Just cleaning the bike after a hard ride then I inspected the gap of the damper seems abnormal. So I thougt asking this to my friends :) :thumbsup:

it should move a little. And it will seem like it moves too much but that is how it is designed. Remove it and inspect the mounting points to make sure its not broken. I would bet that it is fine. If you replace the oil with something heavier than what is in it, I promise you will notice a huge difference.

Back