Gen1-Gen2 Comparison. Good read.

That pictures almost enough to make me stay with the Busa!!! I just found a REAL good deal on an 07 zx14 . and a BEAUTIFUL 01 ( same year I own now) Loaded with all the chrome thats made and custom paint LOW miles 5000ish BUT the price is High 10K. Will some one just buy me one of each?:laugh: its only money.

Take Heart my fellow GEN1'ers...as the tail of the tape isn't always as true and accurate as the sales department would like for you to believe...as true test results don't compare apples to oranges...and the following?...

"The answer is revealed after you juggle the parameters of the dyno readout. Graphing horsepower against time instead of rpm shows that the '08 bike arrives at 8000 rpm more than a second quicker than the '07 bike--so it gets to the meat of its power more quickly. Suzuki's extreme efforts to make the new motor rev quicker pay big dividends on the street. These internal engine changes, along with slightly shorter gearing (now 18/43 for an overall ratio of 2.39, compared to 17/40 for 2.35 in '07), let the new bike spool up faster, giving the perception of more power."

completely destroys a large part of the credibility i have in the findings of our fine feathered editors who fail to point out that much of their "Precieved Results" are the effects of the much lower cogging of the newer GENII

(insert sarcasim here): dropping a tooth up front and adding 3 to the rear actually increased acceleration times and it "felt" quicker?..duh...I'm shocked...who'd of thunk it?...so in closing?..one might sumize that for the price of a new lower ratio chain and sprockets?...the GENI could enjoy a lions share of the rave reviews the GENII claims here in this...uhem...."comparo"? ???

For reference?...just 2 teeth up in the rear on both my old FZ1 and my ZRX completely changed both bikes characters...into an extremely noticable...far more aggressive...acceleration time..as anytime you lower gear ratios they will hasten engine revs and acceleration times accordingly.

I still stand that against a properly/equally, apples-too-apples set-up and tuned GENI?...the difs would be less than the earth shattering claims made in this article..non-the-less...thanks to the member who posted the link here as it was still a very informa...uh...let's say "educational" read. :)

JHMO & L8R, Bill. :cool:

Last edited:
Take Heart my fellow GEN1'ers...as the tail of the tape isn't always as true and accurate as the sales department would like for you to believe...as true test results don't compare apples to oranges...and the following?...

"The answer is revealed after you juggle the parameters of the dyno readout. Graphing horsepower against time instead of rpm shows that the '08 bike arrives at 8000 rpm more than a second quicker than the '07 bike--so it gets to the meat of its power more quickly. Suzuki's extreme efforts to make the new motor rev quicker pay big dividends on the street. These internal engine changes, along with slightly shorter gearing (now 18/43 for an overall ratio of 2.39, compared to 17/40 for 2.35 in '07), let the new bike spool up faster, giving the perception of more power."

completely destroys a large part of the credibility i have in the findings of our fine feathered editors who fail to point out that much of their "Precieved Results" are the effects of the much lower cogging of the newer GENII

(insert sarcasim here): dropping a tooth up front and adding 3 to the rear actually increased acceleration times and it "felt" quicker?..duh...I'm shocked...who'd of thunk it?...so in closing?..one might sumize that for the price of a new lower ratio chain and sprockets?...the GENI could enjoy a lions share of the rave reviews the GENII claims here in this...uhem...."comparo"? ???

For reference?...just 2 teeth up in the rear on both my old FZ1 and my ZRX completely changed both bikes characters...into an extremely noticable...far more aggressive...acceleration time..as anytime you lower gear ratios they will hasten engine revs and acceleration times accordingly.

I still stand that against a properly/equally, apples-too-apples set-up and tuned GENI?...the difs would be less than the earth shattering claims made in this article..non-the-less...thanks to the member who posted the link here as it was still a very informa...uh...let's say "educational" read. :)

JHMO & L8R, Bill. :cool:

I can do the same sprocket change on my 08, and gain the same increase in acceleration. they are comparing stock bikes there.

BTW, I had the choice of a blue 07($10,999), and a blue 08($14,200).
Performance wise, they are so close it is negotiable. I didn't like the blue of the 07(if it was red or black, it might be a different story), and the 08 had some features I really liked(gear indicator, updated looks, and I was in the dealer with the 08 when the woman gave me the go ahead, lol), so I got the 08.

Someone send the thread about the 08 footpeg breaking off to the writer of this column.
My 07 still has footpegs, :laugh: Sorry that article just left a bad taste in my mouth :puke: Love my 07 but have all the respect in the world for the 08 ( just not the footpeges )

I think its entertaining to see folks having a sort of Ford / Chevy battle between the Gen1 and Gen2!
Yeah, we all love our Gen1s and always will. Its the original item.

Fact is, we all basically have 1999 models and the Gen2 represents sh** loads of much needed improvements (more CCs, valves, comp ratio, FI, braking) and it could still use a tick more....

I plan to eventually own both!

Nice article!

Back