Gen1 Gear Position Switch Testing

Neophyte

Registered
I want to change out my Gen 1's gear position switch as I suspect it is a bit dodgy. Get the same voltage for 1st as for Neutral and on my aftermarket gear indicator it jumps between 2nd and 3 while 3rd is steady, 4th jump to 3rd and 5th 5th between 5 and 6 and 6th shows 5. Shows the voltages are far from being stable. Not sure if just needs to be cleaned but don't want to go through the effort if it is buggered.

To buy new locally would kill my wallet. Even buying new from e-bay and other sources gets crazy due to exchange rates and shipping.

So I am considering getting a 2nd hand locally. Can it be tested for resistance in similar fashion out of the bike than in the bike. Do I then test between the red/pink and the "gear contact" on the sensor?

I want to change out my Gen 1's gear position switch as I suspect it is a bit dodgy. Get the same voltage for 1st as for Neutral and on my aftermarket gear indicator it jumps between 2nd and 3 while 3rd is steady, 4th jump to 3rd and 5th 5th between 5 and 6 and 6th shows 5. Shows the voltages are far from being stable. Not sure if just needs to be cleaned but don't want to go through the effort if it is buggered.

To buy new locally would kill my wallet. Even buying new from e-bay and other sources gets crazy due to exchange rates and shipping.

So I am considering getting a 2nd hand locally. Can it be tested for resistance in similar fashion out of the bike than in the bike. Do I then test between the red/pink and the "gear contact" on the sensor?
Not sure but sounds like you have an after market gear indicator. Why do you think it is bad? 2nd question do you have some kind of restriction elimination device installed?

The actual gear indicator is something I am busy building using an Arduino Uno as the Gen 1 does not have a factory indicator. No restriction elimination device I know of. These voltages I get direct from the sensor at the connector under the tank. Another reason I think it is bad is that often...especially when cold the neutral light on the dash does not work.

The Gen 1 Suzuki service manual shows that test procedure as having 0.6v or greater at the gear position switch coupler, here's the manual's test procedure . . .

Here's a diagram of the switch (no.38) in position . . .

If you want to test it off the bike, simulate what you see in this diagram. The shift drum has the spring loaded contact (no.40) grounding the particular copper contact on the switch (1st, neutral, 2nd 3rd etc etc).
Using this information, you should be able to hook up your multimeter to the appropriate wires and with applied voltage, take the reading as in the test from the manual.
Note- I've never performed this test myself, but if you can use this info to do it, good for you!

Awesome thanks. Valuable info to have. Will definitely try testing this way. Makes one wonder if bad grounding through that spring loaded contact is perhaps the cause and how many times people rather replace the switch than getting everything properly cleaned out. I am sure 15 years and 42,000 km must have quite an effect on the contacts alone. Would love to tackle it today but got too much preparation to do for a software demo to my bosses tomorrow.

Awesome thanks. Valuable info to have. Will definitely try testing this way. Makes one wonder if bad grounding through that spring loaded contact is perhaps the cause and how many times people rather replace the switch than getting everything properly cleaned out. I am sure 15 years and 42,000 km must have quite an effect on the contacts alone. Would love to tackle it today but got too much preparation to do for a software demo to my bosses tomorrow.
I'm glad that was some use to you, yeah, I also wondered about the spring loaded contact and the state of the contacts on the switch itself, after so many movements, must be fairly worn huh.
My 99 Busa is 20 years and 120,000kms so imagine the state of mine lol !!
Good luck with it mate, and good luck with your demo tomorrow too :thumbsup:

I got mine to work fine again and can now go ahead with my gear indicator. I took the sensor out, sander the contacts lightly as well as the spring loaded contacts. Then I inserted 4mm daisy pellets behind the springs for more pressure and VOILA! Constant voltages again in each gear :-D

I have a gen1 K3 black with an aftermarket Gear indicator which jumps sometimes too. I think it would be GPS. Could you Share some photos to remove it and to clean it ?

Watch this video till about half-way to see how to get the clutch basket loose. Basically athe point where he starts putting the main nut back is where you first have to get the whole clutch basket out as the sensor sits behind it. At the top you will see the wires come into the casing, then the go around the left inside and the sensor sits just below the main shaft.

I got mine to work fine again and can now go ahead with my gear indicator. I took the sensor out, sander the contacts lightly as well as the spring loaded contacts. Then I inserted 4mm daisy pellets behind the springs for more pressure and VOILA! Constant voltages again in each gear :-D
That’s so cool!
Yeah a lot of people just replace the switch, but you reconditioned it and saved money too, well done :thumbsup:

Back