Gen II valve clearance - questions

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I had stiffer (I believe 42lb) springs installed last year and ever since then have had valve chatter the first few seconds of start up until the oil circulates good. We checked clearances and passed it off as stiffer springs making the noise. Still running stock cams.

We are checking the clearances now and showing all in spec except for two intake valves, both on cyl one. Showing tight at .051 instead if in spec .08-.018.

I don't imagine this would be cause for the chatter, but would this be concern enough to take the time to order and replace the shims to get above .08~?~

I have two exhaust valves that are showing within spec, but towards the upper end of spec. Still would not think this would cause the chatter...

-----------

On a side note...I have a friend who wants to really tighten his clearances to .10 instead of spec .18 to .28 to open the exhaust valves up more. What side effects or damage can this cause~?~ I read in another thread that tight clearances can burn valves...

We are checking the clearances now and showing all in spec except for two intake valves, both on cyl one. Showing tight at .051 instead if in spec .08-.018.

That is too tight and out of tolerance - need to correct the clearance
.051mm = .00201 inch

.003 - .007 inch intake - factory spec
.007 - .011 inch exhaust - factory spec

What drawbacks would a valve have being a touch on the tight side...wear parts quicker~?~

tight valves never happen :whistle:

you have to have room for expansion, without it your putting spring tension on your cams and possibly not letting valve shut.

the valve seat could have started to sink in becouse of the hever springs..thats is what maby going on..but id get that done asap becouse it may do some damage

Back