Gen II rear wheel, whats the trick?

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
So I took the wheels off my bike today to have the tires changed. When you take the brake caliper off the remove the hanger bracket and spacer, the caliper falls apart the pads hang loose. Is there an easier way, I went ahead and removed the right side pipe so when I reassemble I can fiddle with the caliper. Whats the trick guys? Surely Suzuki made it easier than this...

Me too. Not a fan of the Gen2 when it comes to taking off the rear wheel. One thing that does make it easier for me is to unbolt the caliper from the bracket.

Me too. Not a fan of the Gen2 when it comes to taking off the rear wheel. One thing that does make it easier for me is to unbolt the caliper from the bracket.

Well why cant they make them like the front calipers so you dont have to jack with the pads? Argh!

Doesn't that clip hold the pads in caliper? Did you remove that?

I did after I removed the caliper from the hanger. I guess I will put the hanger bracket back and then try to fit the pads and the caliper back on. What a pain.

Wow I just did my tires and my pads stayed in place ,I sat on the floor behind the bike and held the wheel up ,slid the axle through the wheel ,then through the caliper ,nut on done....but I have a side lever pitbull stand it makes it easy.

Wow I just did my tires and my pads stayed in place ,I sat on the floor behind the bike and held the wheel up ,slid the axle through the wheel ,then through the caliper ,nut on done....but I have a side lever pitbull stand it makes it easy.

Well arent we special with the fancy stand? LOL, just kidding bro. How did you take the caliper off so the wheel will fall down and away from the swingarm?

I've never done it due to extreme fear :laugh: but I thought you can remove caliper leaving clip alone thereby allowing pads to stay in place?

It just takes a bit of finesse. Do it a couple times... and every time you put a nick in your rim you'll find yourself much better the next time you try to do it.

You can also put down some masking take protect the rim during removal/installation.

What has helped me is that I would move the wheel a) down and remove the spacers, forward to remove the chain, and then backwards to slide out the caliper, then up to get the caliper out from the wheel, and put back together in reverse order...does that make any sense?

Yes it is a pain in the arse...

I have a ss rear line(only because I got it free with the fronts). It doesn't use the clamp that holds the stock line to the swingarm. So now when I unbolt the caliper from the bracket there is plenty of slack in the brake line.
I can hang the caliper by the line over the passenger peg, and yes, the pads hang out.
Then slide the bracket out as I pull the axle out.
I have a deadblow hammer that laid on it's side under the tire keeps the wheel at a heigth almost perfect enough to slide the axle in and out too.
When putting the caliper back on I spread the pads enough to go over the disc and they snap down into the clip.
I also use a small drop of loctite on the caliper bolts after losing the one with the pin on it(yes, they were torqued).
The gen2 is a pain, and I think everyone hated their first one or two rear wheel changes. I assure you though it becomes quick and easy like any other...after you finish cursing the engineers:laugh:

All back together now. It wasnt that bad, just the first time i have pulled the wheels of this one. Pulling the right side exhaust canister definitely helped put it back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

All back together now. It wasnt that bad, just the first time i have pulled the wheels of this one. Pulling the right side exhaust canister definitely helped put it back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

+1, I always pull the mufflers.
That literally takes about one minute, and makes everything so much easier to reach.:beerchug:

Back