Gen II rear tire removal

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
Any one find it harder than the Gen I ?

The caliper seems to be in the way, I removed it the second time around.

Any one have an easy rear tire removal suggestion, I don't like removing the caliper.

I wrench on motorcycles for a living and can honestly say that the '08 Busa is one of the hardest (fidliest) bikes to remove the rear wheel on. Even when you get the caliper off there's no where to put it so you have to be really careful not to scratch the swing arm. Bikes should be designed by mechanics, not designers!!

The caliper must come off with the rear wheel, there is no way around it.

What messes folks up the most when trying to remove the rear wheel: failure to remove the rubber brake hose retaining bracket (running along the right-hand-side stay of the swingarm).

When you remove the bolt that retains the bracket (takes a 8mm socket), you then gain enough "slack" in the rubber brake line to allow the caliper to slide rearward with the rear wheel, enough so the caliper retaining tang clears the retaining slot on the swingarm, allowing you to remove the rear caliper without scratching up the rim paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrench on motorcycles for a living and can honestly say that the '08 Busa is one of the hardest (fidliest) bikes to remove the rear wheel on. Even when you get the caliper off there's no where to put it so you have to be really careful not to scratch the swing arm. Bikes should be designed by mechanics, not designers!!

I thought it was more trouble than it should be.
Just checking to see if someone had a better way.

What Warchild says is correct but I've found that even with the hose released it's still a PIA. On mine I'm going to replace the rear hose and get one made an inch or two longer to allow a bit more movement.

I guess I just change tires too often, cause I don't really have any difficulty with it. I think it's a pretty trick set-up.

I guess I just change tires too often, cause I don't really have any difficulty with it. I think it's a pretty trick set-up.

Seems too easy to scratch the wheel if the caliper is not removed.

An third hand would help......

It sucks. Gen 1 is much easier..The good new is that can be converted to Gen 1 easily.
The new bus has the same crappy rear brake and notched swingarm set-up as the 14 :banghead: both of them are way more of a pain to get rear wheels off and on then they should be. And the new bus is more of a pain everywhere to work on then the first gen. 3 thumbs down.....

I have 3200 miles (no burn-outs) on mine and I'm gonna need a rear tire real soon so I 'll be experiencing this first hand soon enough. How tough can it be?:whistle: Famous last words.:laugh:

IMO, taking the wheel off just isn't *that* big a screaming deal; it's re-installation (without scratching up the rim) that can give some folks a rough time.

Key to it all is patience... a lot of patience. Once you get the hang of it, it's relatively easy (note I said "relatively" :laugh: )

That having been said, I have gone through 6 rear tire changes in the past 5 months, so I get to practice this R/R procedure a goodly amount..... :beerchug:

I have 3200 miles (no burn-outs) on mine and I'm gonna need a rear tire real soon so I 'll be experiencing this first hand soon enough. How tough can it be?:whistle: Famous last words.:laugh:
Tougher than you expect...especially if you'd like to keep from scratching things up :banghead:

Just replaced the rear tire and recommend removing the caliper and pads before tire removal. Reverse procedure install the pads and caliper last.

Just replaced the rear tire and recommend removing the caliper and pads before tire removal. Reverse procedure install the pads and caliper last.

Thats the same way I did mine, Removed Caliper, hung up on exhaust bolt out of the way then removed the pads, everything else just slid out no scratches. Found it to be easier than my father in laws 99 Busa. Don't know what everyone is screaming about.

Back