Gen II motor noise

Not Good, them soft valve springs, you have to stay away from limiter or they will drop a valve. The springs are like 37lbs for the ti valves.

Not Good, them soft valve springs, you have to stay away from limiter or they will drop a valve. The springs are like 37lbs for the ti valves.

Was shifting into 5th gear (at 10k) when it dropped the valve. Personally, if an almost stock motor can't be run to 10k when the indicated redline is 11.1k, that is a problem. Sure, if I was bouncing it off of the rev limiter and/or spraying nitrous while doing so, it would make sense. But this doesn't.

Was shifting into 5th gear (at 10k) when it dropped the valve. Personally, if an almost stock motor can't be run to 10k when the indicated redline is 11.1k, that is a problem. Sure, if I was bouncing it off of the rev limiter and/or spraying nitrous while doing so, it would make sense. But this doesn't.

I feel your pain.
I traded my gen2 Busa for an 08 B-King in November, put less than 300 miles on it, and the valve cover started leaking(it did sit inside for over a year at dealership).
I fixed it, no problem.
Now the head gasket started leaking! Outside, not yet visible in the oil.
My time to remove and fix the engine and cost of gaskets is alot cheaper than your problem, and mine only has 5900 miles!
Majority of gen2's are bulletproof and can take alot of abuse. I ran the heck out my gen2 Busa for over 17k miles with never an issue.
Ours must have been Friday bikes!

Yikes, yeah sounds like your bike had issues as well.

Drop a valve with less than 1,000 miles on the bike, that is lame. Shifting at 10k, the thing should be bulletproof. It's not like I am running the thing down the highway in 6th gear for 10+ seconds at or near redline, a 1/4 mile pass is less than 9 seconds. Oh well.

You buy the bike New? You ever heard of bad gas, detonation, fouled plugged ,piece of trash thru injector? I'm sure your dad has, he is a champion dragracer..He lkikes carb bikes, so maybe not.. Tell Him I said Hello..

I bet not, you never know how good a rider previous owner was.. Good Luck either way.

You buy the bike New? You ever heard of bad gas, detonation, fouled plugged ,piece of trash thru injector? I'm sure your dad has, he is a champion dragracer..He lkikes carb bikes, so maybe not.. Tell Him I said Hello..

I bet not, you never know how good a rider previous owner was.. Good Luck either way.

No, I did not purchase the bike brand new. You are correct, it is impossible to know how the previous owner rode.

Yes, I have heard of bad fuel, detonation, fouled plugs, etc. Both carb'd and fuel injected bikes are prone to several of the same issues, even some of the ones you have listed. To me, regardless of the riding personality of the previous owner, dropping a valve on a stock motor 1k before redline is strange. Oh well.

I'll tell him hey for ya, maybe we'll see ya out at the track this season?!

I'm gonna try to get out every chance I can this year, as I may have a line on a in town permanent job. I have my fingers crossed....I worked out of town 10 months of the 12 last year, so no way to have a race schedule.. I'll be at PIR, Woody, Bremerton (if still around) and Pacific hopefully a couple times...

I know it sucks that motor went down like that but hey, That's Racing right...

I had a bike once run fine friday night at pir 6 passes in a row, load up drive to bremerton. Saturday I unload it, fire it up, it runs a minute and it shuts off, pump primes run a minute again it shuts off.. 3 day race weekend, 200 miles from home pump goes out, after running perfect for weeks and testing night before..Perfect extra pump in shop on shelf lol..

No, I did not purchase the bike brand new. You are correct, it is impossible to know how the previous owner rode.

Yes, I have heard of bad fuel, detonation, fouled plugs, etc. Both carb'd and fuel injected bikes are prone to several of the same issues, even some of the ones you have listed. To me, regardless of the riding personality of the previous owner, dropping a valve on a stock motor 1k before redline is strange. Oh well.

I'll tell him hey for ya, maybe we'll see ya out at the track this season?!

I'm gonna try to get out every chance I can this year, as I may have a line on a in town permanent job. I have my fingers crossed....I worked out of town 10 months of the 12 last year, so no way to have a race schedule.. I'll be at PIR, Woody, Bremerton (if still around) and Pacific hopefully a couple times...

I know it sucks that motor went down like that but hey, That's Racing right...

I had a bike once run fine friday night at pir 6 passes in a row, load up drive to bremerton. Saturday I unload it, fire it up, it runs a minute and it shuts off, pump primes run a minute again it shuts off.. 3 day race weekend, 200 miles from home pump goes out, after running perfect for weeks and testing night before..Perfect extra pump in shop on shelf lol..

Yeah, being gone that much would make racing all but impossible. Hopefully ya land that job and get a chance to come out and race! Bremerton is still an option, but check out Pacific's schedule (a few double header or even TNT Friday, double header weekends could make it more worth the trip up North).

Yep, stuff happens. Sometimes as much effort as you put into trying to figure out why something went wrong, sometimes (and only SOMETIMES) it's as simple as a weak valve from the factory. I mean, how many 10,000's of valves were churned out. You have to assume there is a failure rate per X number of valves. It's racing, there are no guarantees. I'm going to check the valve seat and see how bad it actually is. Every shop wants upwards of $500 for a single chamber repair, and that is fair. But for a bracket bike, doing work by hand and on your own is possible.

I'll keep everyone updated with the off season build, repairs and upgrades for next season....

Back