Gen ii handlebar vibration issue : Simple stupid !

TED WEEKS

Registered
Last month I picked up a real clean, low miles 2011 Busa. Did the first oil change early. I filled oil up to the top of the sight glass,"F" line, and as it turned out a little over as the oil drained down. If the oil is even a little over full, a vibration in the handlebars will start at about 3,000 rpm. Not huge, but enough to let you know something just is not right.

At first, I couldn't believe that was the cause. I put the bike straight up level several days later and drained about 4 oz of oil out. I put the oil level about 3/4 of the way to the "F" line. My next ride was turbine smooth !!!!!

If you are getting a case of the "hand buzz" you may want to check !!!!

filing ur oil a little above the F line aint gonna cause a vibration. check ur chain, tire pressure or engine mount bolts or maybe ur using the wrong oil

You are so right !!!!! Right down the line I checked those things. The Bike only had 1,200 miles on it ...... everything checked out ! No vibration now. Based on your comments, the vibration might return. I'm at a loss to explain why it went away, the only thing I changed was the oil level ! will post back if it comes back .

Placebo.

After I clean my bike, it is unbelievably smooth and fast. :laugh:

All the Busa's vibrate a bit, but much less than a 1000 gixxer, especially the latest ones. And of course, much, much, much............... less than a Harley.

If it hadn't been ridden in awhile (likely or someone wouldn't be selling it) before you bought it, the tires most likely had settled, and you had to heat them up once or twice to smooth them back out...just a guess...

Busas do run smoother with the minimum oil in them. I noticed this too but I still keep the level up.

Well, there is only one way to know for sure... Put more oil back - about 4 oz. to be exact. :whistle:

Oh, :welcome:

No problem now, if it's not broke, don't want to fix it ! Oil's in the good zone, proper spec. Castrol T4 10-40 , This bike is smoother than the FJR that I had.

That is all that matters. If the vibration is not noticeable then consider it fixed. Glad you got it sorted out.

Last month I picked up a real clean, low miles 2011 Busa. Did the first oil change early. I filled oil up to the top of the sight glass,"F" line, and as it turned out a little over as the oil drained down. If the oil is even a little over full, a vibration in the handlebars will start at about 3,000 rpm. Not huge, but enough to let you know something just is not right.

At first, I couldn't believe that was the cause. I put the bike straight up level several days later and drained about 4 oz of oil out. I put the oil level about 3/4 of the way to the "F" line. My next ride was turbine smooth !!!!!

If you are getting a case of the "hand buzz" you may want to check !!!!

Busas do run smoother with the minimum oil in them. I noticed this too but I still keep the level up.

Well, there is only one way to know for sure... Put more oil back - about 4 oz. to be exact. :whistle:

Oh, :welcome:

No problem now, if it's not broke, don't want to fix it ! Oil's in the good zone, proper spec. Castrol T4 10-40 , This bike is smoother than the FJR that I had.

That is all that matters. If the vibration is not noticeable then consider it fixed. Glad you got it sorted out.

I thought about doing that ......!!!! But "if it's not broke, don't fix it "

You know, when you first posted this I was in disbelief, but I remember the oil change before last I overfilled the bike and noticed one heck of a vibration probably when I left the neighborhood and went 11+ in first. It corrected itself and I haven't felt it since. Thought I had hurt the motor. So maybe there's something to what you're saying. Just glad you got it.

oh what the hey, gonna jump in the fray.....does it matter if you use dino or synthetic oil???

4 qts completely fills the sight glass.
3.75 qts fills to the top line in the sight glass.
3.5 fills to the bottom line of the sight glass.
I always used 3.75 qts in my gen2 and B-King, and I never had any vibration in the bars.

The overfilling thing is absolutely true. I thought I'd be smart and "safe" and put the entire 4 qts in to fill the sight glass... HEAVY vibration at anything above 4500rpm. And if you're really getting on her hard (Like, needle completely off the speedometer hard!), it vibrates so bad that it blurs your vision and feels like a damn wheel is gonna fall off. I checked axles and nuts, motor mounts, cush drive rubbers, wheel and tire balances, chain and sprockets... the whole nine yards. I read a thread suggesting a 3/4 sight glass fill and using a better synth oil (Was using Mobil1 4T moto-synthetic) and thought I'd give it a shot. I ended up putting in 3.75 qts of 10-40 Synthetic Amsoil (known for it's vibration damping properties and quieting down motors), and figured a 3/4 fill couldn't really hurt for a quick test run. Sure as poop, the vibration was back to it's usual 4500-5000 range and disappears anywhere else on the tachometer. Someone had also recommended switching to 20-50 oil, but I wasn't cool on that and couldn't find anything about doing that or any possible damage it could do to the clutch plates/trans assembly.

Well, for 12 years and over 60,000 miles I’ve poured in a one gallon jug of Amsoil and every 5,000 miles or so, drained out a jug of Amsoil minus a couple ounces, maybe. Of course mine is that low horsepower Gen 1 model....:cool:

Back