Gen II Gauge problem - Coolant temp full hot, CHEC, no Gear Position Info, no codes

V8Pinto

Registered
Having some trouble with my gauges and could use some help troubleshooting.

The symptoms are identical to if the key was on with the kill switch in the off position. When turning the key on, the gauges complete self test (full sweeps of all instruments), then the temp gauge goes to full-hot. The CHEC is lit with or without the jumper installed. The jumper does not produce any engine codes. No gear position information. All other features work and the bike starts and runs fine.

I have confirmed that the gauges are getting 12V continuous for the clock and also switched 12V (orange/green stripe wire). The ground at the gauges is also good. I have swapped in another set of gauges that showed the same symptoms. Also, I have used another wiring harness with the same results. I have also checked another ECU that does the same thing. I have tried this with a MoTec, a Bazzaz, and removed both and tried just the factory harness and ECU.

I have a 2Ga ground cable going to the engine with the stock ground wire running to the ECU. I've ohmed this out and it looks good. I also ohmed from the battery/chassis ground to the gauge ground and it shows as less than an ohm so the ground looks good.

Last night I ran ground and 12V to both 12V pins on the gauges without any other connections and it shows same results (removing the harness from the equation).

Any suggestions?

Re: Gen II Gauge problem - Coolant temp full hot, CHEC, no Gear Position Info, no cod

Have ya recently installed HIDs?

Re: Gen II Gauge problem - Coolant temp full hot, CHEC, no Gear Position Info, no cod

No HID's installed.

Is there an external temp sensor on this bike? If so, maybe faulty pushing a high reading? Good luck.
Troy

If my bike is key on and kill switch off (or in gear?) The check stays lit and the temp I'll way up. Flip the switch to run and everything goes to normal.

I'm not sure about Gen 2 though.

Is there an external temp sensor on this bike? If so, maybe faulty pushing a high reading? Good luck.
Troy

No external temp sensor and I've run the temp sensor through the ohms test (10 ohms to 140something as spelled out in the manual) with no luck. The gauge is not active. I think the ECU needs to send it input to sweep it.

When the engine is running, I can plug and unplug the coolant temp sensor and hear the revs change so I know the ECU is seeing the coolant temp sensor but it's not updating the gauge.

If my bike is key on and kill switch off (or in gear?) The check stays lit and the temp I'll way up. Flip the switch to run and everything goes to normal.

I'm not sure about Gen 2 though.

Yes this is exactly what happens but I've traced the switched 12V to everywhere it goes and it is working. Orange with white wire, activates the fuel pump relay and primes the pump like it should, engine runs (or shuts off) with the kill switch - just no temp gauge or fault code readings. No odometer either.

Having some trouble with my gauges and could use some help troubleshooting.

The symptoms are identical to if the key was on with the kill switch in the off position. When turning the key on, the gauges complete self test (full sweeps of all instruments), then the temp gauge goes to full-hot. The CHEC is lit with or without the jumper installed. The jumper does not produce any engine codes. No gear position information. All other features work and the bike starts and runs fine.

I have confirmed that the gauges are getting 12V continuous for the clock and also switched 12V (orange/green stripe wire). The ground at the gauges is also good. I have swapped in another set of gauges that showed the same symptoms. Also, I have used another wiring harness with the same results. I have also checked another ECU that does the same thing. I have tried this with a MoTec, a Bazzaz, and removed both and tried just the factory harness and ECU.

I have a 2Ga ground cable going to the engine with the stock ground wire running to the ECU. I've ohmed this out and it looks good. I also ohmed from the battery/chassis ground to the gauge ground and it shows as less than an ohm so the ground looks good.

Last night I ran ground and 12V to both 12V pins on the gauges without any other connections and it shows same results (removing the harness from the equation).

Any suggestions?
V8pinto did you ever find out the issues you had with these problems.i have same issues with same year

V8pinto did you ever find out the issues you had with these problems.i have same issues with same year
That post was the last time he was here so don't expect him to answer, don't really understand his issue because it seems he was never starting the bike but I do know that's how the cluster is supposed to function until it's started and then the gauge will drop

My gauge works fine until i ride it .every 5seconds it does the self check sweep and all gauges go back to normal but again self check again.bikes rides great.did dealer more and pulled c36 c37 c38 secondary injector codes and c40 and c62 evap purge .going to worl on it this week and see what i can come up with.thank yor for the response

Same issue after a wash with mine blew solenoid fuse replaced and now bike runs fine but temp gauge stays on hot with key on even if bike is cold any help would be appreciated

Same issue after a wash with mine blew solenoid fuse replaced and now bike runs fine but temp gauge stays on hot with key on even if bike is cold any help would be appreciated

I always thought that if this happened to me I would put the bike in the closed garage with our best dehumidifier and completely dry the bike as a first step.

Have you seen this thread? Something I plucked out (but there is more there): Are the flashers/turn signals and side stand safety switch working?

Back