Gen I to Gen II Wheel Interchange ?

anselmo

Registered
I'm thinking about buying a 2008 with 1500 miles...well taken care of.

I have an extra set of wheels for my 99 that I put new tires on and switch when convenient.

What is the difference between the Gen I and Gen II wheels.... and can they be modified properly to work...if anyone can help ?

I already searched the Gen II forum and found not enough info.

Thanks,

Thought someone might know if you can replace them with the right size.

Are the axles different thickness...or the width also.

Might not be worth it....I could just sell them.

I'm trying to trade everything I got for it and $3500 for the 08.

The wheels might be more pain in the ass than it's worth to swap wheels the way I do. I would have to go back and forth..

Im thinking once you get the spacers you need for the gen 1- its a done deal or you could sell them. Roughly on ebay a set goes for $300-$500 depending on condition and if you throw in the hub and cushdrive. Not bad- but I've also seen one wheel go for $250, kinda high IMHO

It might work...I have to think about it further. I would be swapping them back and forth...

I saw some on eBay today that went for around $250 and one rear that didn't get bid on for $95....GenIIs.

I'm sure there'll be deals...winter's coming.

I bought a set of stripped wheels for polishing (unfinished) with a new front tire and drag slick for 100$ (gen1) I was searching eBay high and low for a month so to me 300-500 sounds a little high unless your giving rotors, cushdrive, sprocket and all. But stock gen II when I was looking wasn't much more so you may be able to get a spare set still.

To put Gen 1 wheels on a Gen 2 is really pretty simple.

For the front wheel you need to spacer rotor out off rim 1.50-1.75 mm to center them correctly into Gen 2 calipers and 5mm spacers for calipers to adjust for replacing the 310mm gen 2 rotors with the 320mm gen 1 rotors. No need for axle spacing as Gen 2 axle works with Gen 1 wheel and factory Gen 2 axle spacing works with Gen 1 wheel mounting.

As far as rear wheel it is pretty much a direct bolt on with exception of brake rotor being 240mm Gen 1 compared to 260mm Gen 2. So you either have to have a rotor made with Gen 1 bolt pattern in a 260mm version or switch caliper to gen 1 model which is underslung instead of top mounted and fab a brake bar for caliper or pin caliper bracket to swingarm to lock it in place once mounted.

Sorry for the dirty pics just got done riding, but this is the gen 1 bike/wheels with gen 2 front end. And the Gen 2 with Gen 1 wheels you can see how the gen 1 rotor is smaller than the gen 2 set-up needs. Still checking out which way I want to go, I prefer the top mounted caliper so will probably have a rotor made.

Also on the GSXR1000 wheels to Gen 2 busa, I do know 05-08 1000 front wheels need same 1.5-1.75mm rotor off wheel spacing and also 3mm additional axle spacing on each side of wheel, also work with Gen 2 axle and no need for caliper spacing because both are 310mm rotors. And that I figured out because the Marchesini's on the Gen 2 were actually bought for a Gen 1 but they shafted me with a Gen 1 rear and 1000 front and then went out of buisness.

DSCN8480.jpg

DSCN8489.jpg

DSCN8497.jpg

DSCN8493.jpg

DSCN8494.jpg

Great info.

Looks like the brake system has been updated better. I have had lots of trouble with both front and rear calipers. Front has 3 heli-coils in it....back has been replaced once and rebuilt before that. I live in the gravel and ride in all weather. Looks like they should handle the dirt and corrosion a little better.

I hope to get the 08 in 3 weeks. It is like brand new and the updates haven't been done. He said the dealer told him, if there is no problem, don't worry about it. The battery is charging well and there is no noise coming from the clutch. I don't know if 1500 miles is enough for those problems to show but I will keep my eye on them.

Back