Gen I - Replaced defective Clear Alternative integrated tail light with Motodynamics

Powers739

Donating Member
Registered
Well after about 7+ years of operation my Clear Alternative (now called Moto Lume) Integrated tail light started to malfunction. The left turn signal portion quit working. Everything else continued to work. So after checking to ensure the wiring wasn't an issue it was time to find a replacement. I considered going back with the CA as it would have been a direct replacement and little to no extra work for me to swap it out. But, after not being able to find a CA (Moto Lume), I ended up buying a unit from Motodynamics dot com with the smoked lens for $72.95 plus $11.55 for S&H (not to happy about that, only a two options for shipping and both were costly). 3 day later, I had my replacement.

The product seems to be pretty good quality. It came with a wiring harness adapter for the turn signals with resistors integrated (for flash rate if you didn't have a relay for LED signals) that plug directly into the stock wiring harness as well as a plug for the tail light.

To install the tail light, you have to remove the rear fairing piece, not a big deal, as it takes about 5 minutes. Disconnect the existing lights from the wiring harness, remove the 3 screws that hold the assembly in place and just reverse the steps with the new tail light.

The unit default setting for a flash brake light and sequential turn signals was what I wanted so I did not have to reprogram. If you want something different you may want to reprogram prior to completely installing the rear fairing as the button to program is not easy to reach.

I put the red reflector piece below the actual tail light as it I liked the look better. The reflector piece is providided and uses double sided tape. We will see how long it stickes, although it seemed to be firmly in place.

Anyway, pictures are to follow and I am happy with the product thus far.

Re: Gen I - Replaced defective Clear Alternative integrated tail light with Motodynam

Before with CA: (old picture as I don't have many pictures from the rear)

DSC03997.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gen I - Replaced defective Clear Alternative integrated tail light with Motodynam

After with a smoke flavored Motodynamics:

6C4231D7-3ED5-4586-A2BC-3B4C3835DE09_zps85e8izql.jpg

Looks good! Is it any brighter than the CA?

Smoke looks alot better than the clear for sure. Any pics of the sequential signals?

Looks good! Is it any brighter than the CA?

Smoke looks alot better than the clear for sure. Any pics of the sequential signals?

Someone had a video on YouTube.

I am happy with the results so far, just need to break the habit of manually pumping my brakes to take the brake light flash.

Back