Gen I ... Cranking ....seems like no spark..Help!

I dunno I never did or have I just accept that I may struggle. but none of this is rocket engineering
There are issues that arise with fueling and no spark that experienced mechanics know about and have seen many times, where a novice may not know or understand these things, ie a thing called “ bore wash “..... over fueling or ‘flooding’ causes the oil on the cylinder liner to wash away and the result is very low or even no compression, the motor will crank over fast but will never run.
Whenever a no start situation is diagnosed, the basics always need to be checked, good strong blue spark at the plugs, compression, fuel spraying from the injectors in a normal pattern.
And then there’s ignition timing , injector timing and valve timing.

Well.... did the old fashion way .... pulled one of the spark plugs.... plugged it into the "coil sticks" and
NO spark !!
But I am pretty sure is it is not the ignition coils... the likelyhood that all 4 would be bad seems strange so it is somewhere BEFORE the ignition coils

Tried the old fashion way... pulled a spark plug.... insert into ignition coil .... NO SPARK!!
Long day tomorrow of testing everything with the muli-meter !!!

UGH
OK... I will say ... this NEVER happens with my ZX11.... sigh
Todd

Well.... did the old fashion way .... pulled one of the spark plugs.... plugged it into the "coil sticks" and
NO spark !!
But I am pretty sure is it is not the ignition coils... the likelyhood that all 4 would be bad seems strange so it is somewhere BEFORE the ignition coils
You see?
The process of elimination by visually checking . . instead of guessing and taking a stab in the dark lol.
Now you know for sure there is no spark at the plugs . . .
check for 12v at the coil connector plugs, if no voltage or low voltage start tracing through the circuit backward towards the ECU with your multi meter, you will eventually find the fault.
Remember the coil is switched by the ECU through the ground wire to the coil.
Check the crank position sensor resistance value first.

Here's a few other checks

IMG_0164[1].JPG

IMG_0165[1].JPG

IMG_0166[1].JPG

IMG_0167[1].JPG

IMG_0168[1].JPG

Still nothing ..... even had my local service guy come down and we tried everything ..... Nothing ... dead in the water ...

I struggled with super hard starting for years
even had 24volt start on a 8.5-1 turbo motor

Gen 1 hard starting the first thing I tell people is to check the voltages AT THE COIL STICKS
or even better, cut the 12v feed to them and feed them DIRECT battery 12v while trying to start it

Bet she first instantly , even busa's that do not have this problem as bad still seem to start much better with a SOLID switched 12v to the coils even changed over a buddys at Loring this summer, he was amazed at the starting difference

I would assume you then have some sort of switch ?? you don't have 12 V running to the sticks constantly , do you ?

Have you bypassed all the safety interlocks? Clutch, kickstand, tipover? It may crank because you've got the starter wired different than in a bike chassis.
Also, you should never have had to prime the motor with ether, that indicates a different problem ahead for you, probably injectors.

Have you bypassed all the safety interlocks? Clutch, kickstand, tipover? It may crank because you've got the starter wired different than in a bike chassis.
Also, you should never have had to prime the motor with ether, that indicates a different problem ahead for you, probably injectors.

Yes to all....

3 months ago ... the bike started!!!!
that is the weirdest thing... the only thing I have done is added a custom air shifter to the bike.
It has so be something straight-forward and simple... like a ground or something ...

Todd

please update me on this! i appear to have the same problem as you, where everything is good to go and itll even turn over, however she wont start. will start when gas is poured in it though.

Still working on it I think I've replaced every electrical component on this stupid motorcycle!

I didn't.... I am using the engine in a 3 wheeler that I am building. So I will continue to use the clutch and I built a customer paddle shifter on the steering wheel. Originally had
Todd

A cable to try to shift... Like a sprint car... But didn't have sucess because of how the engine is positioned... So I made a custom shifter that will poop both up and down

Back