Gen I ... Cranking ....seems like no spark..Help!

3WheelerMod

Registered
So I continue to battle my BUSA. I am currently using a 2006 Busa as the engine in my Trex-copy 3 wheeler. I have been working on this for a couple of years dealing with all sorts of things. The last thing I had to figure out was the shifting mechanism. All the while I have been (periodically) starting the bike. I have had to prime it a few times with starting fluid but always started.

She is ready to run... inaugural voyage .... and .... turns over but won't start.:(
Here is what I have done so far:
1. Replaced spark plugs
2. Replaced Throttle position sensor (From Ebay)
3. Replaced the temp sensor (From Ebay)
4. Replaced voltage regulator (From Ebay)
5. New battery (Marine battery due to all the different lights etc. I have on the 3 wheeler)
6. Tip over sensor - glued so it does not move

When I put it in dealer mode, I do not get any "F" error codes. I do get the standard COO code with the indicator line at the top instead of the middle.(you are suppose to adjust the throttle position sensor when it is warm... hard to do that when it won't run) But I am assuming this alone would not keep the bike from starting.
Just seems like I am not getting spark. I have been told that there is a ground issue with Gen I BUSA'S and this could cause problems??? However; my ground comes directly from my battery.
Any thoughts?

BTW... I hear my fuel pump...

Dying to get this thing on the road !!!

Todd

Last edited:
please update me on this! i appear to have the same problem as you, where everything is good to go and itll even turn over, however she wont start. will start when gas is poured in it though.

please update me on this! i appear to have the same problem as you, where everything is good to go and itll even turn over, however she wont start. will start when gas is poured in it though.

I have been using starting fluid and I mean a TON and I can't get it to fire!!!
Yours works if you pour gas ?
If that is the case I think you are doing better then me because I can't get it to fire at all !!
Yours sounds like you might have bad injectors or fuel rail

Todd

I have been using starting fluid and I mean a TON and I can't get it to fire!!!
Yours works if you pour gas ?
If that is the case I think you are doing better then me because I can't get it to fire at all !!
Yours sounds like you might have bad injectors or fuel rail

Todd
You need to pull the plugs and check if they’re fuel fouled, if so, they will NOT spark.
Also too much fuel in the cylinders can wash the oil away and the result is low to no compression.

You need to pull the plugs and check if they’re fuel fouled, if so, they will NOT spark.
Also too much fuel in the cylinders can wash the oil away and the result is low to no compression.

Pulled the plugs several times.... look brand new !

Guess it's time to do the ole "ground the plugs..." feel kind of dumb... thought that was one of those old school things people didn't do anymore
todd

I struggled with super hard starting for years
even had 24volt start on a 8.5-1 turbo motor

Gen 1 hard starting the first thing I tell people is to check the voltages AT THE COIL STICKS
or even better, cut the 12v feed to them and feed them DIRECT battery 12v while trying to start it

Bet she first instantly , even busa's that do not have this problem as bad still seem to start much better with a SOLID switched 12v to the coils even changed over a buddys at Loring this summer, he was amazed at the starting difference

I struggled with super hard starting for years
even had 24volt start on a 8.5-1 turbo motor

Gen 1 hard starting the first thing I tell people is to check the voltages AT THE COIL STICKS
or even better, cut the 12v feed to them and feed them DIRECT battery 12v while trying to start it

Bet she first instantly , even busa's that do not have this problem as bad still seem to start much better with a SOLID switched 12v to the coils even changed over a buddys at Loring this summer, he was amazed at the starting difference

Do you have pics?

Todd

Do you have pics?

Todd

1565890143424.png

Are you talking about these?

Gotta learn sometime.... Just didn't know what "coil sticks" meant ...
I got a doner bike.... tore the whole things down... had it bored out.... Welded a better tressle for the engine to sit in the three wheeler....... put the whole thing back together and had a buddy of mine (who owns a motorcycle shop) confirm everything.,... IT STARTED TWO MONTH AGO !!! (.... frustrated)

Thanks
Todd

I assumed "Coil sticks" = ignition coils.... but I would rather ask than assume .... ass.... u... me

Tod
Yes coil sticks=ignition coils, he's basically saying find the hot wire at the coils and cut them and run right from the battery to the coil and see if it starts, off course if left this way I'm assuming he has some kind of separate kill switch since it won't be running thru the ignition anymore. That's also where you need to check your voltage while cranking (of course test before cutting and splicing) if the voltage is dropping too much before making it to the coils the spark will be very weak. Also if you've been cranking without it starting and can hear the fuel pump kicking then should probably pull the plugs and throw a fresh set in it.

Back