Gen 2 turbo street bike build

JoeSTi

Registered
Well i just picked up another gen 2 busa to do a full build on. The goal with this bike is to make it a weapon for highway roll racing and also events like 1/2 mile and 1 mile racing. This bike will never see a drag strip.
The bike is a 2013 with around 4800 miles. Basically just a pipe and tune bike atm. First thing im doing is shipping the bike down to travis yager to fab me an intercooled turbo kit. Then the bike will go out to have the engine built. The goal power wise is 380-400whp on pump gas and 500whp on race gas.

Planned mods
intercooled turbo kit
Gtx 3076 or gtx 3582 turbo (need help deciding.)
piston/rods motor. Undecided if im going to port the heads yet.
boost by smith boost controller
air shifter
evil 2-6 over arm
some carbon fiber panels
headlight and tail light delete
mirror delete
dragmax or q4
42 rear sprocket

That is the basic rundown for now. This will turn into a big build im sure. I would like some helpful tips on turbo selection and boost controller. Ive heard good things about boost by smith and am not convinced the ams 2000 is worth the extra cheddar.

IMG_20201025_134257_518.jpg

IMG_20201025_134257_519.jpg

I'm behind the times with a 10 year old RCC Ultra 550 turbo with an AMS1000 so may not offer much help. I like yer list thou, except maybe your arm choice. When I researched them the one's from Evil just didn't seem as beefy as the others like Roaring Toyz for example.
As far as the Smith vs AMS I'm interested in that topic as I think my 1000 may have an' issue. 10 years old,what the heck. If the Smith does everything the 2000 does and has a proven record its worth a look.
For looks and strength,maybe look at other arms...I'm just a dumb bumkin so IDK. I do trust my R.T. 4" over arm and OSD 330 set up to handle fairly big HP.
2 pics off the net for comparison...
arm2.jpg

rt arm.jpg

My fat azz...

a.jpg

Rubb.

I'm behind the times with a 10 year old RCC Ultra 550 turbo with an AMS1000 so may not offer much help. I like yer list thou, except maybe your arm choice. When I researched them the one's from Evil just didn't seem as beefy as the others like Roaring Toyz for example.
As far as the Smith vs AMS I'm interested in that topic as I think my 1000 may have an' issue. 10 years old,what the heck. If the Smith does everything the 2000 does and has a proven record its worth a look.
For looks and strength,maybe look at other arms...I'm just a dumb bumkin so IDK. I do trust my R.T. 4" over arm and OSD 330 set up to handle fairly big HP.
2 pics off the net for comparison...
View attachment 1629183

View attachment 1629184

My fat azz...

View attachment 1629185

Rubb.
The roaring toyz arm does look beefy tho the evil arm has underbracing as well. I have an adams arm on my h2 and while i havnt had an issue with it it doesnt look anymore beefy than the evil. I may explore the roaring toyz option.

Travis does good work. But rcc turbo kits are the way to go for a cookie cutter build. Boost by smith is good but only does by gear so you won’t get the most out of your set up and you have to flash the ecu every time you want to change it which can be annoying.

Rob at boosted cycle performance is building my turbo busa. We went with the ams 2000 pro and he’s building the whole bike motor and new turbo kit. You should reach out to him. He’s a sponsor here.

Travis does good work. But rcc turbo kits are the way to go for a cookie cutter build. Boost by smith is good but only does by gear so you won’t get the most out of your set up and you have to flash the ecu every time you want to change it which can be annoying.

Rob at boosted cycle performance is building my turbo busa. We went with the ams 2000 pro and he’s building the whole bike motor and new turbo kit. You should reach out to him. He’s a sponsor here.
Ya i think thats who i am going to have build me the motor and tune the bike. I know rcc is the way to go but i trust travis to make me a quality kit. Since he is using my bike to develop the kit to sell i am getting a hefty discount as well.

ok guys help me decide. Is it worth double the cost for a ball bearing turbo over a journal bearing for my application. Ive been doing a lot of research and im thinking either a pte 5558 journal bearing or gtx3076r ball bearing. The pte 5558 is like $1100 and the gtx3076 is like $2200. Once im in boost and using an air shifter will i really need a bb turbo? I know the gtx should make more power but the 5558 should be plenty capable of my 500whp goal.

I haven't run a bb...got a journal now...but ill bet bb is less prone to oil blow by....just because they require less oil....usually a .035 restrictor

I agree on my boost controller, I try and tell people if you like gear based boost control and don't want to make changes all the time I think it is awesome and extremely inexpensive. I try to steer drag racers and folks who need to make adjustments all the time to something like the AMS. the way you set it up is a little different than most controllers as well, takes some trial and error playing with duty cycle to get the boost levels you want without hitting the safety shutoff thresholds. Again I think not a big deal to set it and forget it, but if you are constantly adjusting because of changing track conditions etc. spending money on something like the AMS is the way to go.
Greg

If you’re thinking of going GTX 3076, go for the gen 2 version. That will take you deep in to the 500s, and likely over 6, and be more responsive then the 35r.

also, so you have an abs model bike go with an arm2k. Use the front abs reluctor for boost by mph.
HI. Rob. What do you think of the Garrett 42-1200c and a MAXX stand alone? How would boost by speed work with the front wheel work with it in the air? I can get a turbo kit with a Garrett 35-88 with a billet wheel but no fuel system for $4,000.00. It is in drag bike traded is it a good deal?

Back