Gen 2 slave clutch problem

no1sun

Registered
So, my 08 busa sailed through the MOT, but when I went to pick it up the clutch went harder and harder with every pull until it it went solid. Gets the bike back to the garage with the help of a van. Dismantled the sprocket cover and removed the slave clutch to find that apart from a fair bit of gunge the piston is solid. Plugged the banjo hole and tried to hand pump out the piston via the bleed screw with a hand bleeding syringe but nothing. I know it’s not much pressure. Used an easy-out on the push rod hole but won’t shift. Going to try compressed air tomorrow, hopefully. Has anyone had any similar problems and am I better just getting a new cylinder. Had a look on fleabay but nothing. I am based in a Kirkcaldy, Scotland. Any advice gladly received. Cheers Dave

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-d...k8-e2-k8-723677/clutch-11560560#/il-271470612
ed18832e80cb735a1f3ff409fd621e9d.png

At US$99.89 I think I would just buy a new one.
You could try squirting some penetrating oil into the banjo hole, wait 12 hours or so, and try rotating the piston with the ezy-out 'til it moves,then compressed air.
Even if you manage to remove the piston AND the bore is ok (doubtful) you will need to replace the cup seal.
Up to you mate, but for me, replacement of the slave cyl would be the way forward.
Good luck, let us know how you get on. :beerchug:

For me racing at Bonneville, they are one of the consumables that you just have to bite the bullet and throw away every now and then, the salt gets in them and corrodes them.
Tried rebuilding it and that didn't work because of the corrosion in the bore.
The last one I've put on I packed it up with wheel bearing grease to try and protect it a little jury is still out.

Thanks guys. Tried looking on web for uk part but struggling. Will phone the local bike shop and see if they can order tomorrow. Will let you know if I can budge the piston anyway. Pic is of the top of the piston before I cleaned it off
image.jpeg

Nice pic...Holy crap!! That is the most crud infested clutch slave I've ever had the misfortune of seeing, no bloody wonder it seized lol !
Time to strip that bike and clean, clean, clean, and clean again lol.

Round 2. Piston was jammed solid but after a bit of heat on the cylinder and with the help of the easy-out, it came free. Cleaned both up but still quite a bit of pitting so just going to buy a new assembly. Tried the piston back in the cylinder and feels ok but not going to chance it. I like to disappear through the fantastic backroads of the Scottish highlands and don't want to risk loosing the clutch for the sake of £100.
Below are some pics.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ok. Just to finish off this work
Received brand new cylinder assembly
image.jpeg

Used copious amounts of grease to protect top of cylinder when I fitted it but thinking now there should have been a rubber cover? have to check. Anyway. Assembled on the bike and beavered away trying to bleed. Used all the usual techniques. I hate bleeding.
One tip when reassembling is to ensure that you remember to fit the push rod back in the bike, as if you forget lots of oil will spill out onto the garage floor and you will push the new cylinder too far out when bleeding and up against the metal plate. I couldn't possibly be stupid enough to do that ahem. Finished off bleeding overnight by tying back the lever with a ratchet strap. Changed the oil, filter and put new pads and front tyre on. Clutch is perfect and the wee annoying selection across neutral to 2nd from 1st (was sometimes a bit clunky trying to find the mesh), works prefect now. Thanks for comments and for reading my thread. Dave from Fife in Scotland.

Back