Gen 2 pitted cams - photo

Warchild

Banned
Well, not sure what to make of this, and obviously one data point doesn't mean diddly-squat anyway, still.....

You are looking at the pitted cam lobes of a K8 with approximately 100,000 miles on it:

gen2campitting.jpg

What is known thus far:

• Bike has (obviously) been ridden a lot - but never abused, drag-raced, etc. Just street riding, though a fair amount of it.
  • Bike has spent a fair amount of time in mountain twisties, engine speeds tend to stay in the upper RPM range (though south of redline).
  • Before 40K miles, oil was religiously changed every 3000 miles. After 40K miles - it was more like a 3-4K oil change interval.
  • Unlike Suzuki factory recommendation, the oil filter was changed with every oil change. Always.
  • Oil brand: plain 'oil everyday (factory recommended) Suzuki 4-Cycle Performance Motorcycle Engine Oil, 10w40

Again, one data point really doesn't mean anything. I haven't seen a lot of .oRg threads regarding pitted cams, so I am not thinking we have a huge issue here by any means. I have heard of Suzuki pitted cams before... as well as Kawasaki, Honda, etc.

It's just a little disturbing to see them on an engine just like mine. ???

I am approaching 70,000 miles on my K8, and I am not far off from having to check valve clearances again. You can best believe I will be paying close attention to cam lobes the next time I have a chance to inspect them.

I have seen this in a motor that has sit for a while but never one in one that is run a lot. Seems like a defect in the metal to me. I have had motors apart with 200K on them and I have never seen this with any of them also. I am sure Suzuki will not do anything about it beings that it has never gave him any trouble. JMO

you see that on zzr11's when there left standing for a while as oil drains away and they get rust on the cams.

it could be a potential recall in the making as a bad batch of cams fitted?

70k miles is more than most bikes will ever do though so just wear and tear id say

70k miles is more than most bikes will ever do though so just wear and tear id say

Actually, it is *my* K8 has 70,000 miles on it... this camshaft you see above is on a K8 that has closer to 100,000 miles on it....

Since I don't have any direct experience on pitted cams, I can't say what the engine ramifications might be from running these pitted cams... I might speculate that as long as it is only gouges/pits in the cam lobe surface (i.e.: there is not a significant amount of material removed from the cam lobe end), perhaps there might be little to no impact on performance.

But... I am speculating here.

Like I said above, I am keen to see the condition of my cam lobes when I can inspect them next.... with good fortune, they will be just fine... :please:

I have seen pitting on Hard re weld's before mostly!

But if you have the mileage that your stating, it's a wearable part.

If your going to swap them once it starts, i would look the cheep way, and buy a low mileage set off ebay!

The last time I took my '05 in for a valve adjustment the mechanic said one of my cam lobes was pitted too. I have 78,000 miles on it.

Actually, it is *my* K8 has 70,000 miles on it... this camshaft you see above is on a K8 that has closer to 100,000 miles on it....

Since I don't have any direct experience on pitted cams, I can't say what the engine ramifications might be from running these pitted cams... I might speculate that as long as it is only gouges/pits in the cam lobe surface (i.e.: there is not a significant amount of material removed from the cam lobe end), perhaps there might be little to no impact on performance.

But... I am speculating here.

Like I said above, I am keen to see the condition of my cam lobes when I can inspect them next.... with good fortune, they will be just fine... :please:

Dude, whats up, where you been for two years??

Looks like breaking through the oil film, with nothing remaining for protection. Could be lots and lots of cold starts, short rides, or the oil. Would love to see ZDP, ZDDP or TCP amounts in the additive package of that Suzuki oil.

Got two more pics to review... still working on getting close-up pics of the buckets...

This photo is in better focus at the cam lobe end....

gen2campittingB.jpg

You know, I'll have to say that the top interior of this cylinder head looks pretty damn good for 100,000 miles....

gen2campittingD.jpg

Dude, whats up, where you been for two years??

Well.... you know how Life is pretty much one great big series of Peaks and Valleys? ???

Been stuck in a Valley - a rather serious one - for the best part of 2 years now. Starting to emerge out of it finally...

Nowadays, I've pretty much taken the perspective that as long as I wake up alive, and there is fuel in the K8, then I am pretty much ahead of the game. For that day, anyway.

Well.... you know how Life is pretty much one great big series of Peaks and Valleys? ???

Been stuck in a Valley - a rather serious one - for the best part of 2 years now. Starting to emerge out of it finally...

Nowadays, I've pretty much taken the perspective that as long as I wake up alive, and there is fuel in the K8, then I am pretty much ahead of the game. For that day, anyway.

i like that perspective sir:thumbsup:

as for 100k that's a testament to the quality of that motor (remember the old honda vf engines LOL) chocolatey cams :banghead:

think that top end looks fantastic for the miles covered:thumbsup:

Yup, I hear ya. Taken some hits myself. Glad your back!

If the buckets are not dished I don't know if I would worry about the cams.

I used to have a 954 and and the 12,500 mile valve adjustment there was some pitting and had not gotten worse at 26,000 miles.

Flat tappet cams in cars will look like that occasionally and never seems to cause problems as long as the lifters are not dished.

Okay...forgive me if I have got this wrong...these are the engine parts from a highly tuned hyperbike that has done 100,000 miles?

You know, if we're lucky enough to reach 100 years old we're gonna get cancer and look like ****. I mean, that's a fekkin' LAW!

Okay...forgive me if I have got this wrong...these are the engine parts from a highly tuned hyperbike that has done 100,000 miles?

You know, if we're lucky enough to reach 100 years old we're gonna get cancer and look like ****. I mean, that's a fekkin' LAW!

I hear ya Tekken...given my bike will see redline everytime out...often....yeah 100k miles, looks good to me.

Back