gen 2 oil leak

Timlake

Registered
2008 orange and black It wont leak idiling. I even put it on my rear stand and went through the gears and nothing. It has 14000 miles I just changed the air filter and changed the oil.(it was leaking before the change)Everything seems tight it seems to be leaking from somewhere up top on the right side.Since it doesnt leak when i want it to when I get home oil is thrown everywhere so its making it hard to find. The coolant line with the mesh on it coming off the radiator is always soaked to give you an idea as to how high its leaking. Any suggestions would help. Thanks in advance. Allen:please:

Remove all the fairings, wash the engine and dry it completly. Get some baby powder and coat the whole engine with it. Warm the engine up to temp, ride it up to redline, pull over and you will find the leak easy.

Yes some will ask BABY POWDER?? Its an old gear heads trick to find them hard to find oil leaks.

ok did the baby powder thing and found that the valve cover is leaking. Now with 14000 miles its due for a valve adjustment. The stealership wants $200 to $400 + the gasket. They said depending on if they have to lift one or both cams. Any suggestions?

Mine...(08) was leaking (from the left side as you ride her, or right as you see her coming)from the external hose which transfers oil from the crankcase to the cams.I tightened about a quarter of a turn the hose at the cam side and problem solved

WARNING: If you do decide to take the route of just tightening the valve cover bolts just a lil more may lead to a stripped cam support. They are made of aluminum and can strip easily with a gorilla grip on a wrench / ratchet.
I have 12K on my 09 and dont plan on adjusting the valves anytime soon. Not sure how good you are with a wrench but replacing the valve cover gasket isnt to bad of a job with some paitence.
You can always try to loosen all the valve cover bolts and then re torque them with a torque wrench and then baby powder it back down and test for a leak again or just order a new valve cover gasket set from Justin here. Good luck glad it wasnt nothing major and just a valve cover gasket:thumbsup:

WARNING: If you do decide to take the route of just tightening the valve cover bolts just a lil more may lead to a stripped cam support. They are made of aluminum and can strip easily with a gorilla grip on a wrench / ratchet.
I have 12K on my 09 and dont plan on adjusting the valves anytime soon. Not sure how good you are with a wrench but replacing the valve cover gasket isnt to bad of a job with some paitence.
You can always try to loosen all the valve cover bolts and then re torque them with a torque wrench and then baby powder it back down and test for a leak again or just order a new valve cover gasket set from Justin here. Good luck glad it wasnt nothing major and just a valve cover gasket:thumbsup:

That's why I used torque in my reply, maybe I should have gone into more detail. Great point and guidance.

Back