Gen 2 gas mileage

Huntercs10

Registered
I have an 08 and I’m only getting 20 - 25 miles a gallon. Is this normal for the gen 2s? I ride it at low rpms and don’t get on the throttle at all when I’m commuting and I’m still getting poor gas mileage. That pretty much cuts in half when I’m out playing on the fm roads.
Anybody else have this bad of gas mileage?

20-25 miles per gallon is not normal.

Are you sure it’s not a gas gauge issue? Meaning that the gauge is off so you are fueling prior to it being actually empty? Are you tracking how much you put in at each fill compared to what the gauge reads? Etc...

With 18/43 (stock) gearing, I was managing 36-40 avg, combined. With a 17 on the front sprocket now, I'm expecting it to dip but not by much

Gen 2 injectors are plagued with clogging and response issues. The bikes will usually run decent but if the tips are dirty or clogged the fuel spray goes to crap fast.

What’s done to the bike? If it has a TRE on it that will kill fuel mileage from the ecu being run constantly in 5th gear, where the ram air compensation is active. This increases fuel around 8 or 10%.

If you don’t have one, do you have an exhaust and a power commander on the bike? If you do, did you actually have the bike tuned, or just use a base map? I find most those base maps to be garbage.

I get 41mpg using regular gas on my 09 busa total stock, going normal. My busa gets better mpg than my goldwing :shocked: at 25-28!! Now my newer 2012 busa with PC5 and fuel injection module with brock's 4 in 1 with street meg pipe, sprint air filter is 44mpg hand calculated at pump. I thought sure with all the gadgets and stuff it would be 20 or so, nope. By the way, that street meg pipe sounds awesome, like the MP4, like a bugle shape. Kinda winey, F1 like. The short meg I had on it sounds kinda woof woof like, a low grunt like noise. It sounds good too, but I like the street meg better.

Last edited:
36ish in Ferrari mode and almost 48ish in Prius mode.
HI. Well I did not bu
36ish in Ferrari mode and almost 48ish in Prius mode.
Hi. Well I did not buy it for the gas mileage. My HD gets 50 my ZX 11 with a 1300cc kit got 50 and my Chevy Sprint got 55 MPG. I wonder what I will get when I am done with the turbo bike? I do not really care!

Gen 2 injectors are plagued with clogging and response issues. The bikes will usually run decent but if the tips are dirty or clogged the fuel spray goes to crap fast.
Do you recommend using a typical fuel system cleaner to maintain the injector cleanliness same as one would do for a vehicle?

My bike responds very quickly and runs well but it is always interesting to know what the experts think and do.

What’s done to the bike? If it has a TRE on it that will kill fuel mileage from the ecu being run constantly in 5th gear, where the ram air compensation is active. This increases fuel around 8 or 10%.

If you don’t have one, do you have an exhaust and a power commander on the bike? If you do, did you actually have the bike tuned, or just use a base map? I find most those base maps to be garbage.
I have a full Yoshi exhaust and other then that it’s pretty much stock aside from cosmetic mods.

20-25 miles per gallon is not normal.

Are you sure it’s not a gas gauge issue? Meaning that the gauge is off so you are fueling prior to it being actually empty? Are you tracking how much you put in at each fill compared to what the gauge reads? Etc...
It could be a gas gauge issue. I’ve never really thought about it though. Always assumed it was because of the type of motorcycle that it is. Obviously I didn’t buy it for the gas mileage but it sure is comfortable to commute on. If the gas gauge isn’t the issue then I guess I’ll just make the sacrifice of refilling my tank more then twice a week.

It could be a gas gauge issue. I’ve never really thought about it though. Always assumed it was because of the type of motorcycle that it is. Obviously I didn’t buy it for the gas mileage but it sure is comfortable to commute on. If the gas gauge isn’t the issue then I guess I’ll just make the sacrifice of refilling my tank more then twice a week.

You should be getting in the mid 30s easily, even better if you’re not honking on it. I often see triple digits and still average 38 mpg or so. I’ve had six carb 24 valve air cooled CBXs that got better mileage. Its also easily verified. Set your trip meter when you fill up and get gas when your low fuel light comes on. You should have a gallon left if you can manage to fill up within a couple miles of the light coming on. I always have fuel left when I gas up between 160-190 miles. Of course my 06 is a lowly stock single injector model... :rolleyes:

From memory my gas light comes on at about 163 miles or so on avg so typically somewhere above 160 but below 170 typically

I get as high as 53 mpg in the warmer weather on my 08 while commuting or traveling long distance. I have a PC5 and an auto tune system. I have tuned my bike to 14.7 AFR up to 5000 rpm, which is my cruising range, and 13.5 AFR above that. My bike also has a full exhaust system and a K&N air filter. Even with stock tune you should be getting in the 40s. In the winter months the mileage drops, but never below 45 mpg. That is one of the awesome things about this bike; nearly 200 hp on tap and 53 mpg. What other bike can deliver that?

I get as high as 53 mpg in the warmer weather on my 08 while commuting or traveling long distance. I have a PC5 and an auto tune system. I have tuned my bike to 14.7 AFR up to 5000 rpm, which is my cruising range, and 13.5 AFR above that. My bike also has a full exhaust system and a K&N air filter. Even with stock tune you should be getting in the 40s. In the winter months the mileage drops, but never below 45 mpg. That is one of the awesome things about this bike; nearly 200 hp on tap and 53 mpg. What other bike can deliver that?
Which exhaust are you running? My 09 Busa with full exhaust got better mileage than my 15 does with the stock exhaust

I have a Yoshimura full system with the tri-oval canister.

53 mpg is (very) hard to believe even if you never exceed 5,000 revs. My lighter and much leaner tuned Z 900RS can get 50 if I’m real nice to it but it only has a ill over 100 hp. Riding around Yellowstone NP one day never exceeding 35-40 mph I got somewhere in the mid 40s on the Busa but I’ve (never) told anyone I got 53 mpg.

Until last year I was commuting 90 miles per day on my Busa and have verified that mileage many times. The optimal "neither rich nor lean" air fuel ratio is 14.7, which is what I tuned my bike to over a period of many weeks and many miles using the Power Commander auto-tuner. I can assure you that this mileage is possible. On my previous bikes, a CBR1100XX and VFR750, I never got over 45 mpg.

Back