Gen 2 engine removal clearance issues

ToyBusa

Registered
Hey guys,

Second time I've had this engine out to replace transmission components.

Current situation:
Bike is in my garage with the front up on a steering head lift stand, and the rear up on a paddock stand. I have the engine complete free of the bike, with one of those 1500lb atv lifts under it.

The clearance issues are: getting the valve cover [down] under the frame cross member tube, while trying to move [forward] around the side stand mount attachment point. Plus, how many of you are cutting the chain to get the engine out? I was due to replace the chain last time so it was off already. The front sprocket is off, and I do have a spare matching rivet master link in case.

hi aussie :)

have a minute to watch my vid at youtube where i show some tools i use in my garage.

sorry is in german but the "moved" ;) pics should help a bit further.

my selfmade midstand is this one
Mittelheber_schleife2.jpg

and the selfmade engine stand (to keep engine stable ´n upright) is this one
(all values, i used, here in this pdf from my german homepage)
Staender_mit_Haya-Motor_3.jpg

the "double"-T-beam is horiz. turnable 30-40° ;)

Well, the engine came out.

Thanks for the reply. And your engine cradle looks great. I'm glad your system works for you. But as lovely as our property owners are, I don't think they'd appreciate me installing a ceiling hoist in the garage of our rental ;)

I recalled, as I got a helping hand to wriggle the engine around, that the trick to getting it out required some seemingly opposite manoeuvres. First it has to go *up* a bit to reach in front of the valve cover, then *tilt* the cylinder block a lot more vertical, then slide the engine *fwd* to clear the side stand mount, and then *down* below the front engine mount so you can slide it out *sideways*. Somewhere around those first two steps you'll need to *twist* it anticlockwise momentarily to get the chain over the output shaft.

I had been reusing a wooden cradle I'd made previously to go under the sump (pictured), but it was causing more harm than good. Swapped it for small piece of thick plywood. Don't be afraid to balance the engine on the sump plug protector, it's designed to withstand a speed bump.

20220927_060845.jpg

Cheers, -Rich.

Back