Gen 2 cold start ticking noise

Oc!n

Registered
Hi Guys

I recently bought a 09 Busa with 18000 miles on it, if I start it when the motor is cold it has a ticking noise for about a minute or so and then it's gone. It only does this when the motor is cold if I restart it after I took it for a ride it's quiet. Only does this when it was standing for a few hours. The dealer where I bought it from says it's normal on them. Should I be worried??

Have aftermarket exhaust? Could be a small leak where the headers meet the block and then once they get heated up and expand the leak seals.

Last edited:
Mine did it when new. It seems to have subsided. There was a recall for clutch pressure plate bolts backing out and hitting the inside of the cover. IDK what years that effected but it was a simple retorque to fix it. My 08 was effected but I haven't done it yet. I probably wouldn't be concerned if it's just a light ticking and it quiets down as it warms up.

Thanks Guys, Makes me feel a bit better. Will do an oil change just incase "not sure when last it was serviced"

My 08 was effected
Meaning the 08 model was effected by the recall. I don't think mine has the issue but it's worthwhile to check the recall notice and go in there yourself and tighten them up with a torque wrench.

Meaning the 08 model was effected by the recall. I don't think mine has the issue but it's worthwhile to check the recall notice and go in there yourself and tighten them up with a torque wrench.

...and medium loctite, which is why some backed out, no thread locker at the factory.

But, if clutch bolts are backing out, you'de have a noise from the clutch cover all the time. As the bolt heads are cutting a groove into the inside of the cover.
The noise is likely just the Suzuki gremlin, it bangs on things until the bike warms up.

Like others have stated pretty normal for a busa motor to tick when cold. One thing to add though, if you have not checked your clutch bolts please do so and don't count on the dealer to have done it. Mine (09) were in the process of backing out and I caught it before they hit the inside of the clutch cover. You don't even have to drain the oil to check it. Just remove the right side fairing, remove the cover (not the round one but the whole side cover) and check them. If they are loose, be sure to remove the clutch pack, clean the threads on the holes and clean the bolts before Loctite. I just gave each bolt hole and bolt a quick shot of brake cleaner. If you don't get all the oil out or off the Loctite may not work. You can reuse the gaskets if they don't stick.

Hi Guys

I recently bought a 09 Busa with 18000 miles on it, if I start it when the motor is cold it has a ticking noise for about a minute or so and then it's gone. It only does this when the motor is cold if I restart it after I took it for a ride it's quiet. Only does this when it was standing for a few hours. The dealer where I bought it from says it's normal on them. Should I be worried??
Search Wierd engine noise on the org.

My 08 ticks on cold start up lasts for about a minute, it's done this since I bought it.Just let it idle for a few minutes and your good to go.(check them clutch bolts or at least put your ear next to the cover ,)

Exhaust gaskets, or out of adjustment valve adjustment,,,

Back