Gen 2 Clunking/Chattering when Clutch Disengaged and Bike Upright

Lithestalker

Registered

Took a quick video tonight, will have to grab a better one tomorrow before I tear in to her. Curious if anyone has thoughts as to what might be the issue here.

Rode to work this morning and about halfway there, the bike kicked itself into 5th gear from 6th. Haven't had that happen before, shifted back in to 6th, about 30sec later, it kicked itself back in to 5th. Finished my ride to work in 5th, and when I went to lunch, I started looking in to the issue.

There is some chattering happening when the engine is on and the clutch is disengaged, and ONLY when the bike is upright or leaning to the right. It does not happen when the bike is on the kickstand/leaning to the left. It also does not happen when I pull the clutch lever to engage the clutch.

Hoping somebody might be able to guide me in the right direction. Going to pull the sprocket cover and stator cover tomorrow. Any thoughts/ideas are welcome!

Thanks Org,

-Derek

Sounds like something in the tranny is trying to engage, could be a broken circlip .
Dump the oil and strain it to look for pieces of metal

Pull the clutch cover and check your clutch basket bolts. Even if that's not the problem, you need to do it anyway since the 08/09 bikes had problems with them backing out.

It's definitely not the clutch basket bolts, I pulled the clutch yesterday and checked everything on that side. (have Brocks kit so things are solid in there)

It's happening in the left side of the bike, odd that it's fine when the bike is leaning left, something has to be loose and is moving/slipping internally as the bike is leaned.

I'll be dumping the oil tonight, definitely seems like something in the transmission is trying to engage it and knock itself into gear.

Took another video tonight, this time with the sprocket cover off.

Drained the oil, little bit of shavings stuck to the drain plug, no chunks tho.

Any other thoughts? I'll call my engine builder next week, probably gonna have to pull the thing though :/

Back