Gen 2 chain and sprockets

@Ronan

if you want to save money at long view spend (first) some bucks for an automatic chain oiler ;)

mine (from scott) lets live the chain longer than 60 000 km up to around 80 000 km
(but in that range the frontsprocket gets the teeth bent "back" and needs to be replaced - at around 30 000 km)

and
watch the chain slack when the bike is "loaded"
- with u alone
- with a passenger
- with u alone and with full traveling bags
- with u, a passenger and full traveling bags

how ever the bike is "loaded" - the chain needs a slack of ~ 20-25 mm in its middle.
if not u have to adjust it.

I've taken off the front sprocket cover and the bit in the pictures fell out, (same item, different angle) any ideas where this came from ?
IMG_4239.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg

Yes, it's a dowel pin. Check to see the other is stuck in the engine case or the cover. I believe there are only two and they must be positioned on the proper bolt holes for installation.

Yeah, there's two on my 08.

sprocket.cover.dowel.pins.busa.jpg

Your motivation is inspiring. Right at it, I see. Mine's been sitting like this the last two months. Give a yell if you need help. I put a steel bar about 1/2" well padded with rags over the swing arm and under a rear wheel spoke to hold the transmission steady when I wrenched the nut loose. Speed senso rotor comes off first of course.

BTW, if you're interested in a new sprocket nut, Outlaw sells a Ti one. I'm getting it. I usually use a countershaft sprocket nut two times. I don't think Suzuki recommends you ever need to replace it in the service manual but any torqued fastener ought to be changed periodically IMO.

Use a 24" breaker bar with 6 point impact socket on the nut...unless you have an impact wrench. Be careful about a possible tip over. That nut has self locking blades on it too so it comes off kind of stiff even after it breaks loose.

Berlin is recommending Lock-Tite on the speed sensor rotor bolt only. None on the countershft sprocket nut. I recently noticed the nut from my bike has red factory thread locker. It wasn't too bad to break compared to some other fasteners I've loosened on bikes. Definitely do torque the nut to spec. I had it come loose on my other bike and I was lucky a point hung up on a lock washer that had not initially done the job. I rode it that way 25000 miles and never knew. You can probably do a visual just by removing the speed sensor and peeking through the hole. If the nut ever came off though....you'd be screwed. I don't know if the cover prevents that or not. You might not get any warning symptoms.

Back