Gen 2 busa with a gen 1 wiring harness

Huntercs10

Registered
Is it possible to have a gen 1 wiring harness on a gen 2 motor? I just took my gen 2 busa to a Suzuki dealer service shop to replace the stator and rectifier and I got it out today. The head mechanic told me that the gen 2 rectifier didn’t fit the wiring harness and because of that he thinks that it’s a gen 1 wiring harness, a gen 1 motor, or both. When I rode it home the FI light was on and when I revved it up it would die. But I got home and turned it off and back on and it was fine. No FI light. Does anyone have an idea of what the issue might be?

Without knowing the history on your bike, very difficult to draw any likely conclusions re the harness being changed at some point, very unlikely as the Gen 2 and Gen 1 have several differences in the harness configuration, Gen 2 has secondary throttle flaps controlled by a servo motor and other changes.
As for the fi light , you would have read the code to know what caused that.
So which stator and reg/rectifier did the shop fit to your bike?? Gen 1 or Gen2??
They must’ve told you that?

Without knowing the history on your bike, very difficult to draw any likely conclusions re the harness being changed at some point, very unlikely as the Gen 2 and Gen 1 have several differences in the harness configuration, Gen 2 has secondary throttle flaps controlled by a servo motor and other changes.
As for the fi light , you would have read the code to know what caused that.
So which stator and reg/rectifier did the shop fit to your bike?? Gen 1 or Gen2??
They must’ve told you that?
They said that there was a rectifier recall on it and they tried to fit a gen 2 rectifier and they said it doesn’t fit. But the gen 2 stator did fit. That’s part of the reason I was so confused.

1st thought was that somebody got you and sold you a bike with a swapped frame or motor but. Gen 2 guage cluster? Have you looked over the harness yourself for splices etc? Check the oil pan? Doesn't sound right. I'd get a 2nd look or opinion.

Is it possible to have a gen 1 wiring harness on a gen 2 motor? I just took my gen 2 busa to a Suzuki dealer service shop to replace the stator and rectifier and I got it out today. The head mechanic told me that the gen 2 rectifier didn’t fit the wiring harness and because of that he thinks that it’s a gen 1 wiring harness, a gen 1 motor, or both. When I rode it home the FI light was on and when I revved it up it would die. But I got home and turned it off and back on and it was fine. No FI light. Does anyone have an idea of what the issue might be?
Like kiwi mentioned above, there is several differences between the two generations. I know gen2s had a recall on the rectifier and some reported the connector and wiring melting. Maybe that happened to yours at one point and the connector was replaced with a gen1 connector and rectifier? Where does the rectifier live on your bike? In the tail section or below the rear shock?

1st thought was that somebody got you and sold you a bike with a swapped frame or motor but. Gen 2 guage cluster? Have you looked over the harness yourself for splices etc? Check the oil pan? Doesn't sound right. I'd get a 2nd look or opinion.
Yea it has a gen 2 gauge cluster, and I been looking through everything just to be sure and it’s for sure a gen 2 motor and harness. It just looks like the previous owner replaced the rectifier connection pieces with a gen 1. Very odd.

Back