Gen 2 Busa Top Steering Clamp Removel Question

nitrobusa08

Registered
Ok I loosened all the bolts except the four holding the top clamp to the other top clamp that it sits on, I am replacing the two piece top clamp to a one piece McIntosh top clamp with Vortex clip-ons, My question is where can I get a puller and what size ? I know I will probably have to separate the two clamps before attaching the puller. But is there a better way to do this ?I tried hitting up on each side of handle bars with a hammer but I'm kind of afraid if I miss. Thank you for your help.
20170314_101926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Thank you I just got it to come off, I used some Blaster multi purpose lubricant let it soak in and it came loose.

No puller needed, but you need to get the weight off the fork's or it will bind all the way off.

Also with the weight on the ground you will never get the new clamp on.

You will need tamper proof torx tools to remover the ignition switch also, refer to the shop manual for some guidance

Info can be found at page 386 of the OEM manual.

I got the top triple clamps off the old part weights alot compared to the McIntosh clamp. Here's the picture of old part. As soon as I finish installing new clamp and Vortex clip-ons I will upload a picture.

1489506600323-1814901286.jpg

The new clamp is on finally, I still need to switch out the handle bars for the black vortex I was in a hurry. The speedo is removed temporarily because I am working on the HID headlight bulbs and wiring. The bike has no ignition Thanx to someone trying to steal it. I have a keyless system now. Here is a picture of the new clamp installed, I probably will switch out the brake and clutch master cylinders for the plastic reservoirs type. That's my next project for the bike.

20170314_135844.jpg

No puller needed, but you need to get the weight off the fork's or it will bind all the way off.

Also with the weight on the ground you will never get the new clamp on.

You will need tamper proof torx tools to remover the ignition switch also, refer to the shop manual for some guidance

Info can be found at page 386 of the OEM manual.
Thank you for helping me, Appreciate it.

Now you've got me thinking about this ....

How much was total weight savings?
Why did you go with Vortex clip-ons in stead of McIntosh?

Awe man.... I want that Top steering clamp. Just saw it on McIntosh's website...

Back