Gen 2 Busa starting issue after getting hot.

busaboy999

Registered
Hello guys,

My 2013 busa gets heated up fast and then refuses to start after coming to a halt. After 15-20 mins , then it's starts fine. This has been troubling in taking the bike out since long. Authotised service centre is like 400 kms away from my place and not possible to take it there. Recently got stuck at a traffic island and maybe I tried starting 2-3 times , the battery got over. Then charged up fully and runs fine. Have Googled and found many reasons. Some of the guys here said it's the starter motor. But I found a video of a gen 1 busa having the same issue where the guy says all just point to the starter motor or the rectifier and stuff but the actual problem is the dirt and sludge stuck in the idle limiter. Could this be it or any other reason. Please help guys :(

Hello guys,

My 2013 busa gets heated up fast and then refuses to start after coming to a halt. After 15-20 mins , then it's starts fine. This has been troubling in taking the bike out since long. Authotised service centre is like 400 kms away from my place and not possible to take it there. Recently got stuck at a traffic island and maybe I tried starting 2-3 times , the battery got over. Then charged up fully and runs fine. Have Googled and found many reasons. Some of the guys here said it's the starter motor. But I found a video of a gen 1 busa having the same issue where the guy says all just point to the starter motor or the rectifier and stuff but the actual problem is the dirt and sludge stuck in the idle limiter. Could this be it or any other reason. Please help guys :(
Did you get your previous issue solved? update?

Had the same issue on my 08 installed a new lithium battery and my problem was solved hope yours is a easy fix to :thumbsup:

Had the same issue on my 08 installed a new lithium battery and my problem was solved hope yours is a easy fix to :thumbsup:
Hey bro.. last year had this issue, changed my to a new yuasa battery.. still the issue persists..so I believe the culprit should be something else

Hello guys,

sorry that i ask but some things of your post seem a bit imprecise for me

"My 2013 busa gets heated up fast " -
what do you mean with fast?
within only 1-2 minutes or 5 minutes or what ?

"then refuses to start after coming to a halt. After 15-20 mins , then it's starts fine."
if the starter relay only make some clicking noise, the battery is low.
did you check the battery´s voltage when ignition is off ? it should be around 12.6-12.9 V
(an acid battery sometimes recovers a little and then seems to have enough voltage again)
(the acid´s don´t like getting overheated)

did you check the charging voltage at battery? at idle (~1100rpm) and at 3-3500 rpm?
if this is under 13.6 V the stator seemíngly is not ok. (eventual windings probs)
the manual tells you how to check this.

or the 3-point-connector (for the three yellow wires from stator) LH, at main harness, under the tank is bad /melted. (see pics at my homepage)
i had this issue several times now at gen1 (but not yet at gen2)

"the actual problem is the dirt and sludge stuck in the idle limiter"
did you drown it in a sump, or what do you mean with that ?
so far i understand the busa´s idle limiter (limiting the max rpm at around 10800 - or so) works electronically (ecu)
or which limiter do you mean?

Last edited:
sorry that i ask but some things of your post seem a bit imprecise for me

"My 2013 busa gets heated up fast " -
what do you mean with fast?
within only 1-2 minutes or 5 minutes or what ?

"then refuses to start after coming to a halt. After 15-20 mins , then it's starts fine."
if the starter relay only make some clicking noise, the battery is low.
did you check the battery´s voltage when ignition is off ? it should be around 12.6-12.9 V
(an acid battery sometimes recovers a little and then seems to have enough voltage again)
(the acid´s don´t like getting overheated)

did you check the charging voltage at battery? at idle (~1100rpm) and at 3-3500 rpm?
if this is under 13.6 V the stator seemíngly is not ok. (eventual windings probs)
the manual tells you how to check this.

or the 3-point-connector (for the three yellow wires from stator) LH, at main harness, under the tank is bad /melted. (see pics at my homepage)
i had this issue several times now at gen1 (but not yet at gen2)

"the actual problem is the dirt and sludge stuck in the idle limiter"
did you drown it in a sump, or what do you mean with that ?
so far i understand the busa´s idle limiter (limiting the max rpm at around 10800 - or so) works electronically (ecu)
or which limiter do you mean?

Yea kind of ten-fifteen minutes of riding. Doesn't happen every time though. Battery is now fine though. Shows voltage around 12.8. Will check the charging voltage at the battery. and the other wires as well.
Thanks buddy :)

Yea kind of ten-fifteen minutes of riding. Doesn't happen every time though. Battery is now fine though. Shows voltage around 12.8. Will check the charging voltage at the battery. and the other wires as well.
Thanks buddy :)

hey dear

ten-fifteen minutes - is NOT fast,
but just normal / as usual
by using "fast" in that context , you scared me a bit ;-)

You mean the secondary throttle valve actuator issue? Yes resolved buddy.. got a steal deal on a almost new throttle body :)
Its always nice - IF you have an issue, and we (the members) give advice- that you post the results and if and how it got solved. Unfortunately, that does not happen very often!

Back