gen 1 which octane should i use?

bigboy

Registered
I have a gen 1 with brocks exhaust and a pc 3.what octane should i be running guys.and why.please your thoughts

87, unless you want to waste some $$. Higher octane makes it harder to ignite gas - which is needed in high compression engines, or turbos.

I find I get less knocking on mine with 89... '04 w/PC3 + slipons. Same thing on my '94 Katana, hate paying extra for it. Maybe we just have crap gas around here?

Yes 87 is optimal BUT---- only higher grade gas ( top octane with Shell for example) does not have any ethanol. Ethanol is the kiss of death for plastic in fuel systems.

It caused my fuel pump holder to swell so bad we had to sand in down to fit back into my external fuel assembly( 1999 model)

SHELL or SUNOCO 87 always made the most power and fastest times on my Gen-I....for a Gen-II I would bump it to 93! :beerchug:

in Canada the pump has to tell you if there is ethanol in it or not. only a couple have it, husky and mowhawk primarily. I run 89 and find I get better mileage.

Eathnol is good if your engine is built for it but you will bun 1/3 more fuel compared to 87, they call it the poor man race fuel

Eathnol is good if your engine is built for it but you will bun 1/3 more fuel compared to 87, they call it the poor man race fuel

You will use 1/3 more if you run E85. Not the case with E10. Most people report decreased mileage with E10 but not near 33%. You can't just put E85 in a Busa without adding a lot of fuel but you can get away with E10.

Back