Gen 1 welded clutch mod

Neophyte

Registered
I am looking into doing the welded clutch mod BUT have a question first. One welded unit I saw the center is not flush and on a second the center is flush.

Does this matter at all?

Compensates for aggressive take off. Allows more cushion for all the weight of bike and rider. Bad for track. You be bucking like the P.B.R. under hard launch

When you say "Bad for track. You be bucking like the P.B.R. under hard launch " - Are you referring to this mod or to the stock setup?

If you going to race you need clutch mod. The stock back torque limiter as its called has the play in it. You don't want that. Thats why the one in the picture is welded - to eliminate play. I have heard of people welding them wrong and it looks like you have one of those in the first pic. Need to be flush like 2nd pic. $40 mps has. used ones about same price

Put a bolt through the center with some washers to hold the two tight and centered, then weld around the three legs. Two pieces should be about flush. The weld wont effect anything if its a little high.

If you going to race you need clutch mod. The stock back torque limiter as its called has the play in it. You don't want that. Thats why the one in the picture is welded - to eliminate play. I have heard of people welding them wrong and it looks like you have one of those in the first pic. Need to be flush like 2nd pic. $40 mps has. used ones about same price

Cool thanks. Yeah, I wasn't even trying to race but just when I try pulling away from standstill ever so slightly aggressively then the bike would buck like ten and make it look like I can't ride. Always had to start moving first before turning the ear. If it was perhaps a friendly race with someone they would get the advantage.

I don't want to go into serious racing but do want to go to the strip now and then. There's a "Run Whatcha Brung" event on the 28th and then a 1km top-end on the 4th of August. I must be honest though that I am still a novice at bike drag racing although I have been riding for 18 years now. Once my clutch mod is done I need to go out and practise a bit after seeing this clip with Brock Davidson giving some pointers:

Well, I got my clutch hub welded in installed. and went for a quick test ride.....

:race:

WOW!!! What a difference it makes!!! Must admit I didn't pay much attention to normal shifting quality but sheesh now I can really get off the line. Even spin the wheel while getting off the line. To a smallish extent I tried applying the drag-racing launch technique and so far it really does work...now to practice giving more and more throttle.

I even used an Android App on my Samsung Note 8 called Drag Racer to get some recordings although I know it's not the same as going to a controlled environment with proper equipment:
1563603155250.png

Back