Gen 1 vs. Gen 2

Simply put: everything.
PowerHouse & Boosted as always knowledge & more patients than anyone should have the right to. Bottom line Scotta welcome but do some research on the threads posted to get an idea what you are getting into/want. Really it comes down to what you want to do with the bike sounds like street/strip & how much $ do you want to throw at this project? Depending where you live contact Boosted or PowerHouse to take care of everything 4 you from parts, install, engine work to handle/make more power, dyno tune etc. It helps but you don't have to understand everything just part your wallet & they can solve make dreams reality. Click on sponsors and their info is available. Not being a jerk you can't ask relevant questions till you have some basic understanding & some of the shops & turbo guys on here are GIANTS so you want to be prepaired.

After a turbo is installed how is the engine and turbo tuned?
What parameters are tested and adjusted? And how?

Thanks
I am saving my pennies now to have Power House do some work for me before spring time hopefully. Depending on your budget You may want to build your turbo bike in stages if you can't afford everything you want at once but know where you want to end up at the end of project. Instead of buying a kit then find out you want to go bigger then have to buy a stage 2 or 3 which wastes $. I am not a turbo guy but read a little so you probably want reliable power for the street /strip which most likely means work on the top end of motor only (head work, valves, valve springs, cams, maybe better pistons & rods) leaving the crank alone so forget about building a 1500 or 1600cc motor. Fueling system, kit, install/tuning etc so this can get pricey depending on how far you want to take it. Best of luck with it.

Exactly. It’s all about one step at a time. The first step is the learning.

When the bike has a turbo kit finally installed. It sounds like special equipment and more importantly special experience is required to properly tune the engine. Or can one adjust and test-ride and repeat?
Where are your shops?

I am leaning more to a Gen2 bike...

Thanks

Exactly. It’s all about one step at a time. The first step is the learning.

When the bike has a turbo kit finally installed. It sounds like special equipment and more importantly special experience is required to properly tune the engine. Or can one adjust and test-ride and repeat?
Where are your shops?

Thanks

Ten 4 on the special equipment and experience. Most of the horror stories you hear on any performance upgrade, those two things are missing. Forget about adjusting while you ride, that is a recipe for disaster.
POWERHOUSE is located in New York on Long Island, about 40 miles east of the city. BOOSTED is in Texas.

Ten 4 on the special equipment and experience. Most of the horror stories you hear on any performance upgrade, those two things are missing. Forget about adjusting while you ride, that is a recipe for disaster.
POWERHOUSE is located in New York on Long Island, about 40 miles east of the city. BOOSTED is in Texas.
My Grandfather and Grandmother were born on Long Island (Babylon area). I should plan a trip there sometime and of course a visit to your shop....

You also need to figure out your budget. Going fast can get expensive in a real hurry.
If I remember correctly a stage one with everything you need will start somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000.00 bucks. I am not sure if that would include labour but I doubt it
And that is cheap compared to a big motor job. Taking engines out and apart and installing new stuff from the crank up gets very pricey. And it's near impossible to resell your stock parts to offset any of it.
Write our good sponcers a nice e mail with your hopes and expectations and they can probably give you a rough estimate of your costs. Every moto job is different. So the response may take a while
It's good you are seeking information ahead of. Spending money. It's the right way around.

A stage one on a stock motor installed and tuned would be around $6500. give or take, depending on options. Take a look at a brand new bike - do you really want to spend 12-15 thousand or more and start over with a stock bike? Consider that you already have one of the world's best, iconic motorcycles. Invest way less than what a new bike costs and you will have a "new" bike that will be the best bike you ever owned. With a turbo between your legs, you never take any prisoners, and you never have to say you're sorry! Think about it . . .

actually that is cheaper than i would have expected given how much power you can get out of a stage one when you choose the right parts for the build
Turbos have decidedly come a long way from when i was young(er)

Guys,
I totally agree. I really like the idea of finding a sound used bike and putting a little more money into it to make an iconic bike even more unique.

Not that I wouldn’t like to bring a bike to TX or NY but can anyone recommend a tune shop in Milwaukee or Chicago.
I live in SE Wisconsin.

Maybe I should just put a turbo on a Harley... ;)

Guys,
I totally agree. I really like the idea of finding a sound used bike and putting a little more money into it to make an iconic bike even more unique.

Not that I wouldn’t like to bring a bike to TX or NY but can anyone recommend a tune shop in Milwaukee or Chicago.
I live in SE Wisconsin.

Maybe I should just put a turbo on a Harley... ;)

Win racing in Naperville is a good race bike tuner. He’s who tuned my first turbo bike years back. Ran great wide open. Part throttle was muddy and mileage sucked. Then years later I’ve retuned some bikes that he’s done, and the customers had the same complaints. At the end of the day, I get frequent visits from midwestern folks. Fornerlle, and Elton fisher also get the same complaints.

When tuning a Gen 2 bike with turbo how do you prevent auto ignition?
I understand that a spacer or a different method will reduce compression ratio and prevent auto ignition if you want a higher psi.
But, how do you know what psi to adjust the turbo to after compression is reduced? Math? Cool stuff!

After a bike has been tuned does the the bike usually need regular tuning (Annual tuneup?). Or are we pretty solid as long as we aren’t increasing engine performance in any way after the tune, like running a higher octane fuel or changing atmospheric conditions?...

When tuning a Gen 2 bike with turbo how do you prevent auto ignition?
I understand that a spacer or a different method will reduce compression ratio and prevent auto ignition if you want a higher psi.
But, how do you know what psi to adjust the turbo to after compression is reduced? Math? Cool stuff!

After a bike has been tuned does the the bike usually need regular tuning (Annual tuneup?). Or are we pretty solid as long as we aren’t increasing engine performance in any way after the tune, like running a higher octane fuel or changing atmospheric conditions?...

It’s down to a science for the most part, at what afr these engines need to be at to avoid detonation depending on compression, fuel type, Intercooled, and intended use. Once I know that, I know what my target afr will be then.

speaking of air fuel ratios . i can run 93 ron pure gas because it is readily available locally Would that lead to a problem while travelling if i had to fill with an ethanol fuel due to a lack of alternatives
Lets us please assume a Gen two at about 4 pounds boost on a stage one turbo
YIA
jp

speaking of air fuel ratios . i can run 93 ron pure gas because it is readily available locally Would that lead to a problem while travelling if i had to fill with an ethanol fuel due to a lack of alternatives
Lets us please assume a Gen two at about 4 pounds boost on a stage one turbo
YIA
jp

The higher the ethanol the leaner it will run. From what I’ve seen on my flex fuel cars is when there’s straight pump 93 in them, my ethanol sensor always reads 10% which is what gas stations advertise at the pump. 10% is enough to swing the tune a bit. I’d suggest if you build your hypothetical bike, tune it on regular blended 93. Then you do have to worry.

Is there any issue with taking a turbo bike cross country and riding to a higher pressure altitude (over the Rockies) vs. a non turbo?
The higher the elivation, the lower the air density and the richer it will run to an extent. The bikes have baro sensors on them so they will compensate a little for altitude.

Thank you Boosted . Supposedly the Shell 93 is pure gas but I appreciate the sharing of knowledge about ethanol on 93 octane . Its only Hypothetical until the money arrives next fall :) Thank you again
jp
HI Scotta. I am building a gen 1 it will have lets say a stage 4 turbo with Frank at Powerhouse. You could ship him the bike have him build it and have it all done right the first time. I am looking for over 700 HP it has many one off parts being made. Do not forget to get the trans built too. Frank can take care of that at the same time too.

HI Scotta. I am building a gen 1 it will have lets say a stage 4 turbo with Frank at Powerhouse. You could ship him the bike have him build it and have it all done right the first time. I am looking for over 700 HP it has many one off parts being made. Do not forget to get the trans built too. Frank can take care of that at the same time too.
Hi. Frank think Inconel turbo header. 304 stainless melts at 1400
to 1450. Inconel melts at 2350 to 2460 and it would be 3 to 4 lbs lighter!

Back