Gen 1 vs Gen 2 a Gen 1 owners tale

KvHotDog4

Registered
First off I have to say I have a 2007 Gen 1 Busa that has 58,000 miles I absolutely love my bike and even after the story I am about to tell I still would not trade mine for a gen 2 (but I would love to add it to the stable).

When the Gen 2 came out I was one of the guys that thought the new tail ruined the whole bike, but after meeting up with a board member who had a gen 2 the bike really started to grow on me. However, it was not until I met up with another board member who doesn't live very far at all from me that I truly had my Gen 2 awakening. We decided to ride up to Beech Bend raceway (1/4 mile drag). Well we swapped bikes for some interstate riding. In the group we were with there was a 06 busa, 2 07 busa's and his 11 busa. I was leading going about 80 - 90 when a guy on the 07 comes up and signals to race already geared and ready to go. I give him the no sign because I am on someone else's bike. Well about this time I look back and see MY BIKE coming up strong and blows past us. Well the guy who wanted to race takes off both on gen 1 busas and they are side by side racing. I figured thats the sign :D . I had been warned about this bike being wheelie happy so I dropped to 3rd and went about 3/4 throttle easy, because strange bike don't know what it will do. I ran them down and was rolling full throttle as I passed and ran away. Keep in mind the Gen 1 busa was the baddest thing to hit the road for 8 years and this is 2 of them racing side by side that I just ran down and passed and was not WFO. I stayed in the throttle I was thinking with the amount of time I had been in it I should be passing 160 - 170 at this point (judging by how mine feels) I glance down only to find I am in 6th the speedo is pegged and the tac is still climbing. I slowly backed out of the throttle and it was about 2 - 3 seconds before the speedo ever moved, which gave me a little time to "feel" the bike at those speeds, I have to say I could barely feel the engine, the wind noise in comparison to mine was almost nothing and I could just barely even hear the bike running.
A second story was after we all slowed back to 80 - 90 the same guy was coming strong again and was planning on passing wide open. I thought this could be a great test, I only went to 4th and wrapped wide open he never passed or even caught me.

All and all I have to say in no way does the Gen 1 compare to the Gen 2. The Gen 2 is faster, smoother, quieter, more comfortable and stops 10x better. I hate admitting it but if I were to do it over I would have waited and bought the Gen 2 instead of the Gen 1, but I still would not give mine for a Gen 2.

I'll go ahead and say it, squid squid squid blah blah blah you should never drive again, yeah. I had a weak moment, but who has never twisted it too much? I am lucky no one was injured, it was all straight with very minimal traffic.

Oh the Gen 2 was stock, Less than 10k miles. My Gen 1, full muzzy, PC3, TRE, and KN filter, 58k miles. Other Gen 1 Velocity stacks and streched, less than 20k miles.

Oh and my 1/4 mile on my Gen 1 with 58k miles best was 10.020 at 144 mph, I was pleased :)

Great racing! It is a lot of fun letting them wind up on a good safe stretch of road. My BKing I only get to 140. I'm waiting for a Gen III Busa and I will sell the King and buy the Busa. I have to have 200+ power to the rear wheel to make the jump worth while.

gen2 no doubt has more power stock, but your bike is middle aged. Are you sure everything is up to spec and in proper working order? A spark plug not being 100% could cause you power loss, so can an air intake.

Now you know what we have been talking about. The bike is simply better. I am not knocking Gen 1 bikes, I absolutely loved my 05. But a Gen II would spank me every time, and it wasnt until I purchased my 09 did I finally understand why.

They are Defo more dangerous in the wrong hands, my two Gen 1's were Ace, but this Gen 2 really sneaks up on you :laugh:

I love em both, but the Gen 2 :thumbsup::bowdown:

gen2 no doubt has more power stock, but your bike is middle aged. Are you spure everything is up to spec and in proper working order? A spark plug not being 100% could cause you power loss, so can an air intake.

Bike is serviced every 3 - 5k miles. It gets plugs every 6-8k miles. Throttlebody sync, plugs, oil and filter clean last service about 2k miles ago. My bike has a lot of miles on it but as far a the operation and mechanics of it, its just like new. The gen 2 is just that much stronger.

Bike is serviced every 3 - 5k miles. It gets plugs every 6-8k miles. Throttlebody sync, plugs, oil and filter clean last service about 2k miles ago. My bike has a lot of miles on it but as far a the operation and mechanics of it, its just like new. The gen 2 is just that much stronger.

+1 A Busa treated and looked after like KvHotDog4's Busa has tons of life left in it and probably better BHP than one at 5K (provided its not been totally hammered relentlessly) , ya can expect car mileage out of it. :thumbsup::bowdown:

Best regards Stretch.

Some of the people who haven't ridden the gen 2 don't get it. They base their opinions on the specs, and that doesn't tell the story.

The fact is, the gen I dropped a bomb on the bike world in 99 by it clobbering the blackbird, and it was hailed as a motorcycle god. There is as much difference between the gen 1 and 2 busas as there was between the gen I and the blackbird, yet the gen ii is referred to as a disappointment and a gen 1.5.

Being lucky enough to have put a lot of miles on both of them, I'll say that if I were in the market for a busa today, I would not even be interested in a gen I, no matter how good the deal was.

I just feel very fortunate to be a Busa owner. Gen1s and Gen2s still get that "Wow, is that a Hayabusa?!" look and comments from many riders I come across. Most of them don't know the difference but respect the Busa Reputation. :bowdown:

Fun story to read but there is not that much of an acceleration difference between all Gen I's and all Gen II's as you intimate. I have broken onto quite a few straightaways on my Gen I NEXT TO a Gen II and never have I been left for dead as you describe. The overall OEM comparison of the two bikes places the Gen II a level above the Gen I, as it should. BUT, the aftermarket can radically redefine EITHER motorcycle.
Respectfully, I disagree with your generalization based on my personal experiences. BTW, a stock Gen I simply cannot compete with a stock Gen II, but, after that comparison, things get quite complex. Raydog

What type of stretch, extra chain can eat up a surprising amount of HP.

:thumbsup: Great story tho. I feel the same way about my 03 750 to my friends 05. Although the racing is much closer.

I would take my `03 back given it was the same performance as the `11. Just say`n..I liked the looks and feel of it better.

Fun story to read but there is not that much of an acceleration difference between all Gen I's and all Gen II's as you intimate. I have broken onto quite a few straightaways on my Gen I NEXT TO a Gen II and never have I been left for dead as you describe. The overall OEM comparison of the two bikes places the Gen II a level above the Gen I, as it should. BUT, the aftermarket can radically redefine EITHER motorcycle.
Respectfully, I disagree with your generalization based on my personal experiences. BTW, a stock Gen I simply cannot compete with a stock Gen II, but, after that comparison, things get quite complex. Raydog

What you describe is the experience I was expecting to get if even that much since the Gen 2 was stock and the Gen 1's had minor bolt ons. However, my story was not exaggerated to make the Gen 2 better. The Gen 2 ran down and passed two Gen 1 busa's that were racing and had no problem doing it in a rather quick fashion, I hate admitting it because I love everything about my bike but the Gen 2 is simply a better all around bike its not just more power. Everything I love about my Gen 1 is better in the Gen 2, Suzuki didn't just improve the power they took the bike and improved it as a whole, everything is better (except the looks of the tail).

Sorry to disagree BUT!!! I have never been taken by another bike when im on it,(even a newer BUSA) I dunno if the fear of going over 2 lets them down or not but at the top end ive never been beaten, UNLESS its on the twisty bits then im just to heavy to go with the lighter sports bikes but still manage to hold my own and keep up but cant take them until we hit the straight's, Then I smile:laugh:

What you describe is the experience I was expecting to get if even that much since the Gen 2 was stock and the Gen 1's had minor bolt ons. However, my story was not exaggerated to make the Gen 2 better. The Gen 2 ran down and passed two Gen 1 busa's that were racing and had no problem doing it in a rather quick fashion, I hate admitting it because I love everything about my bike but the Gen 2 is simply a better all around
bike its not just more power. Everything I love about my Gen 1 is better in the Gen 2, Suzuki didn't just improve the power they took the bike and improved it as a whole, everything is better (except the looks of the tail).

OK, since you raised me one, let's do this....specifically describe the piece for piece differences and why the Gen II piece is superior, and don't forget I'm already on record saying there are many STOCK differences so my response will be aftermarket based. Include handling, braking, ergonomics and power to weight ratios.
I'll say this again, if you compare a BONE STOCK Gen I to a BONE STOCK Gen II, the Gen II clearly is a superior ride. Different world when you do serious refittment. Raydog

First off I have to say I have a 2007 Gen 1 Busa that has 58,000 miles I absolutely love my bike and even after the story I am about to tell I still would not trade mine for a gen 2 (but I would love to add it to the stable).

When the Gen 2 came out I was one of the guys that thought the new tail ruined the whole bike, but after meeting up with a board member who had a gen 2 the bike really started to grow on me. However, it was not until I met up with another board member who doesn't live very far at all from me that I truly had my Gen 2 awakening. We decided to ride up to Beech Bend raceway (1/4 mile drag). Well we swapped bikes for some interstate riding. In the group we were with there was a 06 busa, 2 07 busa's and his 11 busa. I was leading going about 80 - 90 when a guy on the 07 comes up and signals to race already geared and ready to go. I give him the no sign because I am on someone else's bike. Well about this time I look back and see MY BIKE coming up strong and blows past us. Well the guy who wanted to race takes off both on gen 1 busas and they are side by side racing. I figured thats the sign :D . I had been warned about this bike being wheelie happy so I dropped to 3rd and went about 3/4 throttle easy, because strange bike don't know what it will do. I ran them down and was rolling full throttle as I passed and ran away. Keep in mind the Gen 1 busa was the baddest thing to hit the road for 8 years and this is 2 of them racing side by side that I just ran down and passed and was not WFO. I stayed in the throttle I was thinking with the amount of time I had been in it I should be passing 160 - 170 at this point (judging by how mine feels) I glance down only to find I am in 6th the speedo is pegged and the tac is still climbing. I slowly backed out of the throttle and it was about 2 - 3 seconds before the speedo ever moved, which gave me a little time to "feel" the bike at those speeds, I have to say I could barely feel the engine, the wind noise in comparison to mine was almost nothing and I could just barely even hear the bike running.
A second story was after we all slowed back to 80 - 90 the same guy was coming strong again and was planning on passing wide open. I thought this could be a great test, I only went to 4th and wrapped wide open he never passed or even caught me.

All and all I have to say in no way does the Gen 1 compare to the Gen 2. The Gen 2 is faster, smoother, quieter, more comfortable and stops 10x better. I hate admitting it but if I were to do it over I would have waited and bought the Gen 2 instead of the Gen 1, but I still would not give mine for a Gen 2.

I'll go ahead and say it, squid squid squid blah blah blah you should never drive again, yeah. I had a weak moment, but who has never twisted it too much? I am lucky no one was injured, it was all straight with very minimal traffic.

Oh the Gen 2 was stock, Less than 10k miles. My Gen 1, full muzzy, PC3, TRE, and KN filter, 58k miles. Other Gen 1 Velocity stacks and streched, less than 20k miles.

Oh and my 1/4 mile on my Gen 1 with 58k miles best was 10.020 at 144 mph, I was pleased :)

Make no mistake about it, KvHotdog’s busa is bad-ass and superfast, and at the ¼ mile track I witnessed Kv and his GenI busa own everyone (HEAVILY modded ZX-10, Gixxer 1k, two Gen I’s & a Gen II). Beating the ZX-10 was great, but watching Kv go against the Gixxer 1k was the best… Kv and the Gen I took off and wheelie’d at least 100 yards, I waited for him to get out of it (I would have), but that wasn’t happening. I think he was in “I am not losing mode†as he stayed in it and took the Gixxer, running around 10 seconds flat and well over 140mph. Pretty awesome… Also was able to witness firsthand, the “flat-out†run which was pretty awesome. I am not admitting anything and pretty sure it was just a dream of three Gen I’s and a Gen II, on a clear 3 lane.

? I feel like there are two seperate conversations going on here. One of which I just don't comprehend, probably my fault.

You sure that Gen 2 didn't have a hidden turbo on it? I've had two Gen1's myself but have put some miles on a friend's Gen2 and the difference really isn't that great. In fact, we were out one day and he wanted to do a 6th gear roll-on on the highway from ~100kph. My Gen1 pulled away (slowly) and stayed in front until I rolled off. Granted, I weighed (at the time) about 50lbs less than he did... :whistle:

Regardless, that was his 10,000km 2008 with a full 4-into-1 Yosh race system on it vs. my old 64,000km 2001 with Yosh slip-ons, K&N filter and a TRE. His should have been quicker than mine but it just wasn't. YMMV.

had my first encounter with an 08 orange & black busa when out riding my 05 gen1 back in early summer we ran them from a roll on at about 60mph to over 160mph both bikes stock with bolt ons riders close to the same weight the gen2 spanked my gen1 i was very impressed with the gen2.

Back