Gen 1 turbo advice needed

Red baron

Registered
Hi guys,
posted this in another section of the form with our seeing this section, anyway
New to the forum and live in the UK, and after some help/advice please
I brought a gen 1, 2000 model and I'm putting the engine into a yamaha raptor 700 frame , but I'm going to add a stage 2 turbo kit as well. So this is why I need the help. I visited a very well known local tuning shop to me, who explained what I needed and how much it was going to cost.
His price was £1800. 00 for engine works, turbo pistons, HD studs, head work, timing chain, valves ect.
The stage 2 kit all in fitted was £5600.00, so all in all about £7500.00.
The issue I'm having is with the stage 2 kit price, whilst I know I have to pay for the shops overheads, his experience, profit, just can't get my head around it, so hears what I'm thinking.
If I buy my own stage 2 and fit it myself, (I'm pretty good with a spanner) get him to do the engine work and to tune it.
This is road legal and must use pump gas
This is what I've priced up so for (all in pounds)
Gt 28 turbo. £400
Plenum chamber £400
Turbo manifold £300
Air filter. £50
735cc injectors £200
Fuel pump £100
Tial bov. £200
Tial wastegate £100
Link pipes and bends £200

Rolling road tune £300
So this totals £2250.00
Some £3300 cheaper..

So my real question is, what else do I need and are my sums correct

Sorry for the long first post

Many thanks neil

So I see a few omissions just off the top of my head:
Fuel pressure regulator
turbo pistons/spacer plate
map sensor
How do you drive the injectors? Piggyback, ecu editor, standalone etc..
and budget for at least a few hundred pounds of extra, unseen expenses.

So I see a few omissions just off the top of my head:
Fuel pressure regulator
turbo pistons/spacer plate
map sensor
How do you drive the injectors? Piggyback, ecu editor, standalone etc..
and budget for at least a few hundred pounds of extra, unseen expenses.
Thanks for this, exactly what I wanted

The spacer plate and pistons are in the cost of the engine build.
Was going to get a pc5 with auto tune, would that drive the injectiors? Again the pc 5 was extra to the stage 2 and the engine build
Will look into a fuel pressure regulator

Thanks once again

The LAST thing you want is auto tune! Stay away from that. You did not specify what your target rear wheel horsepower is, but I think you should consider buying a complete Stage One RCC Kit from POWERHOUSE. The kit is complete, and if you buy it with the optional BOV, the total price is $4745. With stock injectors on a stock engine, at 8 pounds of boost you should see anywhere from 260 - 275. The turbo is larger than the GT28 you are considering now, and this Stage One kit is capable of 425 rear wheel hp with the proper engine and fueling upgrades. Your PC5 would be fine, and if you decided to go with larger injectors ($400), you could flash your bike's ecu to compensate for the larger injectors and tune with the PC5. To be fair, there are many options to consider, all dependent on your target hp level and intentions for the bike. We would be more than happy to help you with whatever parts or components you may need to reach your goal . . .

That is solid advice. I was typing up a response when it was posted, Frank covers my thoughts on the subject and then some.

The LAST thing you want is auto tune! Stay away from that. You did not specify what your target rear wheel horsepower is, but I think you should consider buying a complete Stage One RCC Kit from POWERHOUSE. The kit is complete, and if you buy it with the optional BOV, the total price is $4745. With stock injectors on a stock engine, at 8 pounds of boost you should see anywhere from 260 - 275. The turbo is larger than the GT28 you are considering now, and this Stage One kit is capable of 425 rear wheel hp with the proper engine and fueling upgrades. Your PC5 would be fine, and if you decided to go with larger injectors ($400), you could flash your bike's ecu to compensate for the larger injectors and tune with the PC5. To be fair, there are many options to consider, all dependent on your target hp level and intentions for the bike. We would be more than happy to help you with whatever parts or components you may need to reach your goal . . .
Thanks for your reply, it's really appreciated as I know through reading up you are a very well respected member of the forum, But....
You kit equates to 3600 pounds plus 20% vat andwhatever otter duties I would have to pay and shipping to the UK I guess would take me to £4500, so I would be better off buying a kit from this side of the pond,but that's not to say I won't be mailing you for parts.

The problem I have is once I get an idea I can't let it go,and I just can't see why I can't build one cheaper, maybe there lies the issue, and it's all gonna go wrong,

People said I couldn't build my thou as I lacked knowledge and didn't have a clue, I laugh now when I see them.

I don't really have a target hp, just as much as I can realistically I can get with a sensible tune, this will be mainly a quad for road use with the occasional strip visit

Also I want to ask about digital speedos, but will save that for another thread

But like I say, thanks for your reply and the time taken to write it

If, as you say, once you get this idea in your head you don't want to let it go, you're not really looking for advice, you're looking for validation.....:poke:
Take it from someone that built a turbo Busa as you think you want to, for the reasons you think you want to, if I were doing it all over again I would do what Frank suggests. I would buy his kit, install it and take it to be tuned.

I can appreciate that, and even if you do not purchase a kit from POWERHOUSE, we will be more than happy to help you with your project as you go forward. You will find that the sponsors on this forum are also enthusiasts, we like to see everyone build the bike of their dreams and will assist if we can. There is a lot of experience and knowledge on this forum, freely given with that goal in mind.

You make it sound so easy! lol

Hurry up with the petty details!
I've been dreaming of a 1k powered Raptor for years, and need to see the results of a turbo Busa in one! lol
Welcome to the org

I'm not looking for validation, I am looking for advice from people like yourself that clearly know more about turbos and their installation than me, regardless of which way I do it, I will have a turbo on it.
I get the basics of the install and the larger parts required, but it's gonna be the simple bits and questions when I get the "WTF"

I'm not looking for validation, I am looking for advice from people like yourself that clearly know more about turbos and their installation than me, regardless of which way I do it, I will have a turbo on it.
I get the basics of the install and the larger parts required, but it's gonna be the simple bits and questions when I get the "WTF"

Main thing will be room, as there isn't much between the engine and steering shaft.
I've seen several Raptor/1k conversions, but never a turbo(not saying it can't be done either). Quite a bit a frame fabrication will be needed.

Main thing will be room, as there isn't much between the engine and steering shaft.
I've seen several Raptor/1k conversions, but never a turbo(not saying it can't be done either). Quite a bit a frame fabrication will be needed.
Yeah absolutely, I'm actually gonna stop all works on the frame at the moment until I get the plenum on, so I know exactly where /if I can get it in, which I'm 99% sure I can, like you say, so major frame mods Needed

This was my thou being fab

20130921_142520.jpg

Unfortunately, the state I live in does not allow 4wheelers(atv's, quads, etc) on the street.
That kinda killed the idea for me.
I belive you can never have too much power, but a 1k can get you in trouble quickly in the woods. You go from 20mph to 70mph in the blink of an eye and clip a tree, and...oh well.

I got an 05 660 bare frame and built it to this, and bought
20180218_163202.jpg

a +2" swingarm as well.
I had decided to stay 660 instead of 1k, then somebody wanted it more than I did, so I sold it to fund another project.
I plan to buy a 700 Raptor at some point as well, but it'll stay close to stock.

Back