Gen 1 to Gen 2 Rebuild information needed

Swiftfalcon

Registered
Good day Guys,

I had bought a 2005 Hayabusa from a friend and he was busy building it to Go Gen 2. So i have a few questions that most of you already did or still thinking off.
1. Gen 2 Throttelbody, will it fit gen 1 head or must I change the head and Throttelbody of gen 1 to gen 2 fully.
2.. If the Change is done from gen 1 to gen 2 on Throttel bodies, i must change the whole harness.
3. Shocks looks the same but the gen 2 front bottom is not the same, the fender does not fit at all. So there is a must change .
4. Radiator change and oil cooler must be change or not. \
5. Reservoir is on te left, can i leave it there or must i change to Gen 2 Right side Reservoir.
6. Then the Gen 1 tank fits yes, but i want the Gen 2 tank on, looks better for me
7. Airbox must i change it or will it fit when i change the tanks from gen 1 to 2

I new to all of this rebuilds, any info will helpfull
thanks in advance to all

Perhaps look at the Dragon bike for ideas …..

Only thing Gen 1 is Frame & Fairings.

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

I can tell you the rear shock is improved on Gen 2 , and will fit on Gen 1 . The forks are different on Gen 2 , they are radial items with the corresponding brake calipers and triple clamps are different , I believe diameter and width . The Wheels are new on Gen 2 , with different disc rotor diameters , and the Gen 1 rear also less rotor mount lugs and also underslung rear 2 piston caliper setup . The instruments are different , and I know the Gen 2 swingarm was strengthened somehow , and even widened , but not sure on that .
I can't help you with motor interchangeability , but I have a desire to do this to a Gen 1 myself , and would look for a wreck Gen 2 complete with motor as straight swap donor along with Gen 2 loom / ignition switch etc. .
Sounds like Timmy Duck can refer you to GixerHP (known Busa mechanic ) , for advise on all the Gen 1 to 2 motor interchange . Good luck with your worthy project for old mate .

Radiator and resevoir need to be swapped. Gen 2 plastics won't fit with reservoir as Gen 1 has it placed. Tank fits Gen 2 frame but is not the same size as you know and again for fitment reasons needs to be swapped also. Airbox does not need to be changed but the oil pan should be swapped also.

The throttle bodies have different spacing also. Not sure if you can squeeze a gen 2 on a gen one head. I know going turbo people say you can squeeze a gen one plenium on a gen2.

I can tell you the rear shock is improved on Gen 2 , and will fit on Gen 1 . The forks are different on Gen 2 , they are radial items with the corresponding brake calipers and triple clamps are different , I believe diameter and width . The Wheels are new on Gen 2 , with different disc rotor diameters , and the Gen 1 rear also less rotor mount lugs and also underslung rear 2 piston caliper setup . The instruments are different , and I know the Gen 2 swingarm was strengthened somehow , and even widened , but not sure on that .
I can't help you with motor interchangeability , but I have a desire to do this to a Gen 1 myself , and would look for a wreck Gen 2 complete with motor as straight swap donor along with Gen 2 loom / ignition switch etc. .
Sounds like Timmy Duck can refer you to GixerHP (known Busa mechanic ) , for advise on all the Gen 1 to 2 motor interchange . Good luck with your worthy project for old mate .
I would appreciate the help thanks for you input

Radiator and resevoir need to be swapped. Gen 2 plastics won't fit with reservoir as Gen 1 has it placed. Tank fits Gen 2 frame but is not the same size as you know and again for fitment reasons needs to be swapped also. Airbox does not need to be changed but the oil pan should be swapped also.
I have the gen 2 subframe done already, the rolling gage is also gen 2. Ok so on the Airbox i can keep thats a possitive find. thanks Scooby315

The throttle bodies have different spacing also. Not sure if you can squeeze a gen 2 on a gen one head. I know going turbo people say you can squeeze a gen one plenium on a gen2.

so the best way to go is change the Gen 1 head and Throttelbodies to complete swop to gen 2 head and Throttel bodies. sound more like better idea. thanks Mathewrussel52

. this is good info also, i bought a gen 1 new and had that feeling this is waist of money due to the fact that gen 2 water bottel is on the front right side. i will order a gen 2 resevoir.

questing, need i replace the radiator also . just wondering

Gen 1 and gen 2 are 99% diferent bikes. Fix gen 1 as genune and go be happy.

the Thing is due to the frame and subframe swop , and i have the fairing kit for gen 2, it sound better to go for gen 2. yes money wise not but i need to do this

. this is good info also, i bought a gen 1 new and had that feeling this is waist of money due to the fact that gen 2 water bottel is on the front right side. i will order a gen 2 resevoir.

questing, need i replace the radiator also . just wondering
Yes the gen 2 reservoir has to bolt to the radiator. The gen 1 radiator doesn't have the holes to mount it.

How are y'all getting the airboxes to fit? I tried to get a Gen 2 box to fit my Gen 1 "motor" bike, and couldn't figure out a way....

How are y'all getting the airboxes to fit? I tried to get a Gen 2 box to fit my Gen 1 "motor" bike, and couldn't figure out a way....
Keep the Gen 1 airbox. Unless you're doing a complete motor swap no need to change it out. Just do the airbox mod to it and be good.

Back