Gen 1 to Gen 2 Front end question...

busaboyn2o

Registered
Recently picked up another Gen 1 (this one turbo'd). Currently has a R1 front wheel with Chopaleg's axle... My Question, can I simply swap out forks and calipers to a Gen 2 (brembo's) and expect everything to bolt right back up?

Don't reckon , the front ends between the 2 Gens are different width , because of radial calipers basically . Also the fork bodies are different measurement , I got a couple of Gen2 sets , I will measure the body , but am unfamiliar with any exact Gen 1 front end measurements .
Gen 2 Fork top 50mm / bottom 55mm

The Gen1 is 744mm in length from center axle to the joint of cap and tube.
Measurement is topped out (topout spring fully compressed)

Gen1 has 25mm cartridge. In terms of sizing the better version. Gen2 is somehow a Gixxer1000 transplantation.
Honestly...you have to invest into the Gen1 fork. But It will become the better fork then in terms of hydraulic behavior

The Gen1 is 744mm in length from center axle to the joint of cap and tube.
Measurement is topped out (topout spring fully compressed)

Gen1 has 25mm cartridge. In terms of sizing the better version. Gen2 is somehow a Gixxer1000 transplantation.
Honestly...you have to invest into the Gen1 fork. But It will become the better fork then in terms of hydraulic behavior
What about the radial caliper setup , isn't that better for braking compared to an axial setup , not taking into account the calipers used , just the principle ? Also , can the Gen 1 forks receive 25mm Ohlins setup ?

What about the radial caliper setup , isn't that better for braking compared to an axial setup , not taking into account the calipers used , just the principle ? Also , can the Gen 1 forks receive 25mm Ohlins setup ?

Yeah..in the most cases the radial is better. The other aspect is, that if you are not regularly cleaning the inside of the calipers, clean rotors and floaters....you don't have that benefit. a seriously serviced gen1 brake could be better then a dirty gen2. :p

The Gen1 could get an ohlins setup. you might have noticed that i am working on that stuff? without a doubt you could get a lot of cool performance stuff for gen2. and you have the benefit of dlc-coating. but this also means regular oil changes and sealgrease. if you don't do that dlc is worthless.

Yeah I saw mate , well personally , I don't have to worry about DLC , but I do have to clean my brake set up regularily . I am very happy with the $ I had to save and the time it took to get the complete Ohlins setup I am running , FGRT208 are beautiful lightweight fork , and along with the brakes , are my favorite pieces on my bike . :):thumbsup:

The ohlins forks are the best on the planet...without a doubt.
A lot of people have to find a cheaper way to ensure safety and comfort (to stay concentrated longer). I think if everybody would ride an ohlins suspension which is setup just for him....the world would be safer. But this is not the situation. So from my perspective I am trying to get the most out of the stuff I have to ensure preformance, safety and comfort.

So would the answer be to swap the front ends entirely to a Gen2? (Ohlins would be great, but I just dropped a ton of $$$ on this bike, and I am not looking to become divorced. Lol).

If so, would the R1 wheel and axle still fit?

So would the answer be to swap the front ends entirely to a Gen2? (Ohlins would be great, but I just dropped a ton of $$$ on this bike, and I am not looking to become divorced. Lol).

If so, would the R1 wheel and axle still fit?
Gen1 and 2 busa wheels are not interchangeable, so I’m assuming for your R1 wheel to fit the gen2 front end, you will need a different set of custom spacer to make it fit.

The ohlins forks are the best on the planet...without a doubt.
A lot of people have to find a cheaper way to ensure safety and comfort (to stay concentrated longer). I think if everybody would ride an ohlins suspension which is setup just for him....the world would be safer. But this is not the situation. So from my perspective I am trying to get the most out of the stuff I have to ensure preformance, safety and comfort.
I and many others are very interested in your threads and obvious wealth of knowledge . There are many wanting to maintain and update their standard factory kit , so this information sharing is very welcome .

Back