Gen 1 Steering Damper Removal. Bad Idea?

Wally

Registered
Just bought a 2005 busa and I've done a streetfighter conversion. Nothing too crazy, just stripped the fairings, changed to renthal fatbar and custom headlight etc. I had to rewire the fuse box so I could hide it under the seat as the wiring is very unsightly on these things. Speaking of unsightly... I've put the new headlight on but the steering damper is right underneath it in front of the forks (as opposed to every other dampee ive seen that was between the yoke and the tank) and it just looks horrible. I considered removing it but haven't gone through with it yet as a busa without one could prove troublesome. Or could it?! I've had a gixer 600 & 750 and an MV Agusta Brutale 990R that didn't have steering dampers and they were fine but, well... busa is a different animal I guess. Any thoughts? Should I do it or will it compromise the ride too much?

It does very little to start with.
It's also probably worn out and doing nothing.
I bet you won't even notice it gone.
Some people are under the misconception that a steering dampner will prevent a tank slapper, and they will NOT!
An aftermarket dampner's tension can be set up to the point where the bars can hardly turn. It's more a preference in how the bars feel.
A good dampner can prevent a little headshake at speed, and make the bars feel a little more stable at low speed, if that's what you like. But that's about it.

Thanks for the quick response 6pack577. That's exactly what I wanted to hear! One of the reasons i did the streetfighter conversion was to slow myself down a little (with no wind protection it makes riding 100mph+ very hard work!) so if the damper is only really noticeable at higher speeds and riding like a lunatic then that's not a problem for me. Its coming off tomorrow!

Ha, Yep. I hang all my ewok pelts off the bike to send a message to the others. (It's actally a screenshot from the movie 'Gummo').

I haven't had a steering damper on mine for 9 years.

I've had a few moments, normally badly landed wheelies or being an arse.
Never had a drama from fast road work.

I have wider bars and more leverage than narrow stock bars though.

Sweet. I've put wider bars and a 28mm riser on mine too so I'm sure the extra leverage will more than make up for the absence of a steering damper. Should get all the work finished this weekend, I'm looking forward to the different ride position etc, it'll be like a totally new bike.

Big booty.

IMG_20160621_203411.jpg

Very nice mate. What front fender have you got on that? I've still got the original on and it looks rank. Need to put another gixer mudguard on it but I want to find one that's a direct fit.

Currently using the original Gen-1 guard that's been cut down. Not real happy with it, I'll get around to changing it one day. The bike is due for a refresh / update.

image.jpg

Sorted the front fender problem with the mighty Dremel. Just waiting for air intakes now. Might double up on the headlight in the future, just for a bit of extra badass.
IMG_20160627_211007.jpg

Back