Gen 1 oil cooler screws

Joshmc628

Registered
Took off my oil cooler to replace my engine but I lost one of the the screws that attaches the hose to the engine. When I took those screws out oil immediately leaked out of the screw holes so my question is; is there any reason I can’t use a screw with the same size threads from the hardware store? I’m worried if it’s not the OEM screw then it might leak. If anyone has done this before or has insight your input is appreciated.

Haven’t had to do this with oil cooler screws but I’ve had good success with matching screws and bolts by taking one to a hardware store and trying what they have.

Took off my oil cooler to replace my engine but I lost one of the the screws that attaches the hose to the engine. When I took those screws out oil immediately leaked out of the screw holes so my question is; is there any reason I can’t use a screw with the same size threads from the hardware store? I’m worried if it’s not the OEM screw then it might leak. If anyone has done this before or has insight your input is appreciated.
Looking at a parts break down of the oil cooler right now. I don't see any screws that should leak when removed. All the lines look to be sealed with O Rings. Other then that there's just the mounting screws. And it doesn't look like they use any sealing washers on them. Is it something shown in the picture I attached?
If you misplaced one of the screws that attaches an oil line. The O Ring makes the seal there. A replacement screw from the hardware store is fine.

oil cooler.png

Last edited:
Looking at a parts break down of the oil cooler right now. I don't see any screws that should leak when removed. All the lines look to be sealed with O Rings. Other then that there's just the mounting screws. And it doesn't look like they use any sealing washers on them. Is it something shown in the picture I attached?
If you misplaced one of the screws that attaches an oil line. The O Ring makes the seal there. A replacement screw from the hardware store is fine.

View attachment 1608188
Screw #11 is the screw I need. No rubber washers on the screw itself which gave me the idea of just getting one from the hardware store. Thanks for the reassurance, going to give this a try.

Back