Gen 1 oil consumption again and again

feket663

Registered
Hi! I have a gen1 Busa fom 2005 with approx 60 k miles. In the last year the oil consumption was little high, decrease from max to min approxx 100-120 miles. The bike had gen2 cylinder and Wiseco high compression, 81 mm pistons with relative new piston rings, and Kibblewhite vyton valve seals. The winter is coming, my mechanic made a piston change to original pistons and rings (the factory piston's mileage is 20 k miles, the rings runs only 5-6 k miles, coming from my bike), and original Suzuki valve seals. The cylinder was checked, no abrasion...

Note: The pistons and rings was nice, without traces of burns under the 3rd rings.

The motor is completed, no leakage, no problems, I ride in approxx 100 miles, without high revs and high throttle, without oil consumption, the level was middle between min and max.. After this period I started pulling throttle, but with brain, max. revs was 8500/min. And the result: after 100-120 miles the oil level was under minimum, need 500 ml to middle level.
My question to the experts: where is the problem? I'm using Motul 5100 10W-40 oil.

Sorry for my english...

Have you done a compression test?

Those plugs look like they need replacing, how old and how many kms on them?

I won't insult you by asking if you are ensuring the bike is perfectly upright while checking oil level...if it is even just a little bit askew, it will greatly affect the oil level in the window.

The plugs 3 years age, and approxx 5-6000 kms on them. I haven't done compression test yet. I practice the oil level check more than 14 years on my bike, I think I'm familiar with correct method.

My problem is, my mechanic and I replaced everything that could cause oil consumption, i think. The cylinder was good condition, the pistons without signs of wear, the piston rings inside the service limit, the valve seals new items from Suzuki dealer...

The plugs 3 years age, and approxx 5-6000 kms on them. I haven't done compression test yet. I practice the oil level check more than 14 years on my bike, I think I'm familiar with correct method.

My problem is, my mechanic and I replaced everything that could cause oil consumption, i think. The cylinder was good condition, the pistons without signs of wear, the piston rings inside the service limit, the valve seals new items from Suzuki dealer...

Compression test is next....did your mechanic check the cylinders to make sure they were perfectly round and not oval??

There isn't too much left especially since you aren't seeing any oil on the inside of the fairings or leaking anywhere...it has to be going out your exhaust..

I mentioned the levelness of the bike during oil checks because stranger things have happened and I don't know you personally so would have no clue as to your experience.

A real stumper....

Hi! I have a gen1 Busa fom 2005 with approx 60 k miles. In the last year the oil consumption was little high, decrease from max to min approxx 100-120 miles. The bike had gen2 cylinder and Wiseco high compression, 81 mm pistons with relative new piston rings, and Kibblewhite vyton valve seals. The winter is coming, my mechanic made a piston change to original pistons and rings (the factory piston's mileage is 20 k miles, the rings runs only 5-6 k miles, coming from my bike), and original Suzuki valve seals. The cylinder was checked, no abrasion...

Note: The pistons and rings was nice, without traces of burns under the 3rd rings. View attachment 1619014

View attachment 1619015

The motor is completed, no leakage, no problems, I ride in approxx 100 miles, without high revs and high throttle, without oil consumption, the level was middle between min and max.. After this period I started pulling throttle, but with brain, max. revs was 8500/min. And the result: after 100-120 miles the oil level was under minimum, need 500 ml to middle level.
My question to the experts: where is the problem? I'm using Motul 5100 10W-40 oil.

Sorry for my english...
Hi, check out the valve guides, mine is leaking oil from the guides. I have replaced the valve stem seals and the piston rings before with no luck.

Back