Gen 1 headers on a gen 2 worth it?

Joshmc628

Registered
Ready to upgrade my headers on my gen 2. I have stock headers with akroprovic slip ons. I’m looking to get more power. From what I’m reading the gen 1’s don’t have a catylic converter. Does that automatically mean more power if I put them on my gen 2 busa? What about the o2 sensor in the Gen2 header? Will I be losing power without the sensor making the swap not worth it? Any insight on this is appreciated.

hmmm

more power or more acceleration at the traffic light ?

a. - a little more measurable power (on a test bench)
- by exhaust mods - costs ~ 600-2100 €
- by other camshafts - costs ~ 1500 €
- etc
is usually only over ~ 7000 rpm available.

b. - more acceleration available over 1800 rpm !!! is as easy as possible by e.g. 3 more teeth at the rear sprocket (ok, by that the top speed drops a bit but who cares in a country where the law limit is at 80 mph?)
and if you exaggerate this ratio (5 or more teeth), the busa is almost only on the rear wheel ;) - costs ~ 15-40 € depending on the kind/type of rear sprocket

c. - for a very lot more measurable power (on a test bench) you need a turbo
its power (300 and more hp) is usually available over ~ 4000 rpm - costs ~ 10-12000 €

so whats your ambition ?
so what's your aim ?
AND - what's your budget ?

is it (a. or c.) all worth it?
with a busa that accelerates so hellish fast (2,9 sec 0-80 mph) even with standard ratios?

if money/budget doesn´t matter do the "change" as best as possible
and use a 1.2-1.5 bar turbo with 83 mm bored cyls etc.
the then resulting power and acc. will be freaking you completely
(i know what i say - i tested a buddy´s ~400 hp gen1 already )

Looking to spend as little as possible however I’m willing to spend if it’s worth it. Not looking to do any mods to the engine as I’m trying to keep the bike a daily rider. If gen 1 headers give a little more power then I can find one for next to nothing and swap it. Otherwise I’ve been looking at these decat adapters where you cut off the catalytic converter completely and add a straight pipe with no cat in it. They’re on eBay for 100$ but I’ve never seen a single busa with this. If none of that is actually worth it I’ll just be on the lookout for a brocks 4-1 system. I’m also already getting a bigger rear sprocket as well as a ecu flash and possibly a tune after I find the exhaust I want.

(...) From what I’m reading the gen 1’s don’t have a catylic converter. Does that automatically mean more power if I put them on my gen 2 busa? (...)

eventually yes a very little bit (~2-3hp) - only measurable on a test bench
but as far as i remember all busa have that cat - sometimes in the header, sometimes in the muffler´s conn.- pipes but never in the mufflers themselve

(...) From what I’m reading the gen 1’s don’t have an o2-sensor(...)

only the ´99-´00 (i guess) have none - all later models have that sensor

(...)What about the o2 sensor in the Gen2 header? (...)

at the akrapovic 4-1 the o2-sensor´s thread (m18x1.5) usually is available in the muffler´s connecting pipe .
how at others? - sorry, no clue.

(...) Will I be losing power without the sensor making the swap not worth it?
sorry no clue.

more acceleration?

shure, yes because you drop clearly with the akra 4-1 the entire busa weight - she loses around 12-15 kg

generally said : the less weight the busa (a bike) has the more & faster it accelerates and the more agile it becomes

and - loool - jokingly - if your personal weight might be a point of (bigger) interest do (as we say here) a biological tuning down to ~85 kg :lol:

Last edited:
My 06 did not come with a sensor. That said, my yosh exhaust has a mounting place for one. I have a wb in place so it worked out just fine. I would hear your bike. Cheapest and easiest solution. If you hate the cat, put a delete pipe in.

Back