Gen 1 fork and clutch master cylinder upgrades — share your wisdom

chimai

Registered
Hi everyone,

My 2000 Hayabusa just got out of its 72k km servicing… and I'm already thinking of the extra work I'd like to have done the next time I bring it back to my mechanic.

The most obvious stuff has been taken care of: she already has decent brakes (Brembo RCS19 MC and Brembo floating disks) and suspensions (serviced fork and Öhlins S46PR1C2LS shock). I don't really have any complaint about the bike, nor do I have any specific use in mind (i.e. I don't plan to take her to a race track or a drag strip): I just want to pretty her up and have a bit of fun.

Here's what I have in mind:
  • Replace the stock clutch master cylinder with a Brembo RCS16, so that both levers look similar. I've read here and there that doing so can screw up with the injection and that one needs to install a "switch" — but I cannot figure out if this applies to the Gen 1 or only to the Gen 2.
  • Swap the front fork with an Öhlins one to match the rear shock. Here, too, I'm a bit confused: is there an Öhlins fork that does not require switching to radial calipers? All the Öhlins conversion I've found online seem to be paired with Brembo calipers…
  • Redo the swing arm's "varnish". I suspect that the previous owner had a leaky battery that ate through whatever finish is on the swing arm and left drippy-looking stains in some parts. I'd like to get all that cleaned up.
If you have done any of the above or have any insight to share, I'm all ears!

(Attached: a few picture of the bike in the mountains close by, taken earlier this year.)

HayabusaMountainPass.jpg

PXL_20220717_123602131.MP2.jpg

Hi everyone,

My 2000 Hayabusa just got out of its 72k km servicing… and I'm already thinking of the extra work I'd like to have done the next time I bring it back to my mechanic.

The most obvious stuff has been taken care of: she already has decent brakes (Brembo RCS19 MC and Brembo floating disks) and suspensions (serviced fork and Öhlins S46PR1C2LS shock). I don't really have any complaint about the bike, nor do I have any specific use in mind (i.e. I don't plan to take her to a race track or a drag strip): I just want to pretty her up and have a bit of fun.

Here's what I have in mind:
  • Replace the stock clutch master cylinder with a Brembo RCS16, so that both levers look similar. I've read here and there that doing so can screw up with the injection and that one needs to install a "switch" — but I cannot figure out if this applies to the Gen 1 or only to the Gen 2.
  • Swap the front fork with an Öhlins one to match the rear shock. Here, too, I'm a bit confused: is there an Öhlins fork that does not require switching to radial calipers? All the Öhlins conversion I've found online seem to be paired with Brembo calipers…
  • Redo the swing arm's "varnish". I suspect that the previous owner had a leaky battery that ate through whatever finish is on the swing arm and left drippy-looking stains in some parts. I'd like to get all that cleaned up.
If you have done any of the above or have any insight to share, I'm all ears!

(Attached: a few picture of the bike in the mountains close by, taken earlier this year.)

View attachment 1656498

View attachment 1656499
I replied to your PM but wanted to share some pictures here since I’ve never been able to share pics via PM.
The yellow arrow is pointing at the bracket I made to mount the OEM Suzuki switch: red arrow is pointing at the oem switch; green arrow is pointing at the second bracket I made and clamped to the lever so that when I pull lever it depresses the switch.

6B3FF4FF-7FC8-4B58-B3FB-DD34F21CABC0.jpeg

Yellow arrow pointing at the small bracket that depresses the switch when I pull the lever from another angle; red is pointing at the OeM switch; green is pointing at the hydraulic switch I originally used and it failed after a couple of thousand miles so I cut the wires off and never even bothered removing. I forgot I had left the old hydraulic switch in place until I went to take these pictures to share with you. Lol

AC655E3E-0B40-48BB-A1C5-638A4309D5F7.jpeg

Amazing stuff, thank you so much @mabupa !
You are very welcome! I’ll just answer your hydraulic switch question here. I don’t know if it was just bad luck that I ended up with an unreliable switch or they are all like that. If I remember correctly, som of the other members that used hydraulic switches had issues with the “check engine” light coming on.
Hope this helps and good luck on your project.

@mabupa

why so much workinvest in that mechanical switch?

use a hydraulic switch with m10x1.0 or m10x1.25 thread (depending on teh pump u use) and all work is done.
ok 5 minutes to connect it eletrically but then its ready to use.

and exactely that i did at my fj1200 and the ducati radial pump(s) - best result in deed. ;)
and the same way i went at buddy´s busa - at the brake AND at the clutch.
no issues with the clutch switch at the busa even at highest rpm /mph - so what? ;)

@mabupa

why so much workinvest in that mechanical switch?

use a hydraulic switch with m10x1.0 or m10x1.25 thread (depending on teh pump u use) and all work is done.
ok 5 minutes to connect it eletrically but then its ready to use.

and exactely that i did at my fj1200 and the ducati radial pump(s) - best result in deed. ;)
and the same way i went at buddy´s busa - at the brake AND at the clutch.
no issues with the clutch switch at the busa even at highest rpm /mph - so what? ;)
I know this is pretty old but in case Miguel didn't answer you and I'm case someone else comes across this song research I'll answer. We've had quite a few members use the hydraulic switch on the clutch side of their 2nd gen and it cause issues like throwing a code (can't remember which one right now :banghead: ) so they ended up having to find a way to use the oem switch.

Back