Gen 1 Fast Idle Adjustment

goalie31

Registered
I bought my 04 just prior to winter. The fast idle lever doesn't seem to raise the idle speed at all. How do you adjust it?

Thank you,

Bill

You will need to lift the tank. The throttle control for the fast idle is on the left side of the TB. Loosen, slide cable, retighten. But make SURE you do not over adjust and cause the idle to vary when turning the bars. Disastrous consequences are possible.

what's a tb---

Throttle Body. Here ya go.

fast idle.jpg

Hey, I have a 2002 and I can see the fast idle adjustment screw that needs to be turned to raise the high idle. The question is how to reach and turn it. I have tried long screwdrivers, screwdriver tip in a ratchet to get a better angle, and even a flexible adjusting arm that can go from where the screwdriver tip its in and the other end can fit a drill or ratchet. I can't figure out how to adjust it because its tucked away so well.

Hey, I have a 2002 and I can see the fast idle adjustment screw that needs to be turned to raise the high idle. The question is how to reach and turn it. I have tried long screwdrivers, screwdriver tip in a ratchet to get a better angle, and even a flexible adjusting arm that can go from where the screwdriver tip its in and the other end can fit a drill or ratchet. I can't figure out how to adjust it because its tucked away so well.

Gotta lift the tank. Gives plenty of room to use a regular length screwdriver. FYI, it's best to do this adjustment with the engine warm at the end of a ride. If done cold, you'll turn it up, and it will end up too high, and require another adjustment to lower it down. Good luck.

Gotta lift the tank. Gives plenty of room to use a regular length screwdriver. FYI, it's best to do this adjustment with the engine warm at the end of a ride. If done cold, you'll turn it up, and it will end up too high, and require another adjustment to lower it down. Good luck.

I have tried to reach the screw as well and no matter what I try, even with the tank lifted, I can't get to the screw.

I disconnected mine. You really don't need it. And if you have heli bars you either have to disconnect it or get a longer cable.

--Wag--

I have that page open on my lap top right next to me when I am working on it and I can't get to the screw. It looks like its pointed down and away making making it extremely hard, between the air intake and the throttle cables, to get at. Thats my problem.

I am looking at your pictures and I can't tell exactly, I am not the most mechanical person, how yours running the new cable. Also this looks like is is the idle adjustment cable, not the fast idle adjustment screw that I am trying to reach. I do like having the idle adjustment down like you did yours. What are the parts or kits names to do that with?

Look at post #6

I have that page open on my lap top right next to me when I am working on it and I can't get to the screw. It looks like its pointed down and away making making it extremely hard, between the air intake and the throttle cables, to get at. Thats my problem.

Back