Gen 1 fairing mods to clear header pipes

Teslalfan

Registered
Looking for advice on how to fit/clearance fairing after install of Brocks street meg header. The fit is awfully tight and am worried about melting the plastic.

Should have heat tape in those locations, oem or aftermarket fairings?
OEM...Yes there's heat tape but it's right up against the pipe in places and it will definitely melt the plastic as it is. There needs to be some clearance. Surely I'm not the only one to run into this issue.

OEM...Yes there's heat tape but it's right up against the pipe in places and it will definitely melt the plastic as it is. There needs to be some clearance. Surely I'm not the only one to run into this issue.
I've had that issue with brocks and I believe I remember seeing others saying the same about it. Make sure everything is attached and in place and just slightly loose and you can get a little adjustment out of. The biggest thing on the ones I've done was making sure to use some wd40 at the connections which really helped. Had to use a rubber mallet and give a couple taps to make sure a couple of the connections were fully seated and also giving them a wiggle before starting to tighten it down. It does call for at least 1/4 inch of clearance but it's always been barely that and maybe a little less in the area your talking about but after a little work it did clear and haven't had any of them melt with the oem fairings. Good luck and post some pics when it's finished. :beerchug:

I've had that issue with brocks and I believe I remember seeing others saying the same about it. Make sure everything is attached and in place and just slightly loose and you can get a little adjustment out of. The biggest thing on the ones I've done was making sure to use some wd40 at the connections which really helped. Had to use a rubber mallet and give a couple taps to make sure a couple of the connections were fully seated and also giving them a wiggle before starting to tighten it down. It does call for at least 1/4 inch of clearance but it's always been barely that and maybe a little less in the area your talking about but after a little work it did clear and haven't had any of them melt with the oem fairings. Good luck and post some pics when it's finished. :beerchug:
Thanks and I get what your saying but the install of the header wasn't, or isn't the issue. All the connections are fully seated so it is what it is now and I'll have to modify the fairing for any more clearance. Which I'll figure out, I was just hoping this was a problem that many have had and solved and shared the fix.

Back