Gen 1 engine temp, Engine Ice

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Where is your temp gauge with engine ice? I switched to it and the end of last season. I went from my temp needle at (picture a clock face, 3 oclock is half of the gauge) :18 to :16 Im not impressed at all.
I drained the old coolant and flushed with Distilled water a few times, not sure if i got all the old coolant out, the only old coolant that could have been left was in the block. Anyway, whats your temp?

Mine stayed the same temp. by the gauge.
I think the Engine Ice just takes longer to go over the normal operating temp. when it gets hot.
The thermostat controls when the rad gets the fluid, no matter what the fluid is.
If the engine is going to go past the operating temp, I think that is when the Engine Ice will absorb more heat, and the gauge will take longer to show hotter?
Anyone?

i went with engine ice last time i changed my coolant also, and didnt notice any change. i posted the same question a while back and the answer i got was engine ice is basicaly better for track use b/c it isnt as slick as regular coolant. ill go back to stock coolant next time i flush the system.

I used engine ice a while ago and it made no improvement. I switched back to Water and water wetter. I've stuck with this ever since.
I know royal purple has some stuff too but I don't plan on waisting my timetrying it.

I used engine Ice and personaly did not notice any difference.

The last time I flushed I went with water wetter and distilled water.

Engine ice is "Propylene Glycol" vs "Ethylene Glycol" (regular antifreeze)

Difference is either small or large depending on what you are looking at.. PG was developed as a coolant and used by GM in the Corvette. It has a slightly higher boiling point and that was the only reason they went to it..

it is also relatively "non toxic" (READ: Pet safe)
It also cleans up much much easier than EG.. EG spreads, coats and sticks..

I have no idea what the heat transfer ability of either fluid is except that neither one is as good as water.. If the cooling system is at 100%, either coolant will work fine and you should not notice any difference..

Water with "water wetter" WILL cool better than either of the other 2 coolants but it should not make the engine operate at a different temp, it will just keep in in the "operating range" better..

I do not like running the water wetter on a street motor.. water pump lubrication, system oxidation protection, freeze protection are all substandard.. In a race motor, who cares..

Neither hold the Temps DOWN, they raise the boiling levels which is the opposite of Anti Freeze (it doesn't keep the coolent warmer) which LOWERS the Freezing level. Your Thermostat and radiator regulate the temps ! Want it cooler, change the Thermostat to a 180 or 185 F, I think there're at 195 F as stock (not sure though) ! I have never seen the Temp Guages in my Bikes or Auto's change by using any anti freeze or water wetter/engine ice type additive :beerchug:

Not sure that it dramatically changed my operational temps BUT back in the good ole days living down south, after I changed from stock to engine ice, I never overheated ... ok well the bike never did :laugh: I had several occasions prior to engine ice where the stock stuff mixed with identical conditions my bike ran over to the red many times.

Bought 2 jugs of (E.I.) at 20.dlrs a piece see no difference than my buddys using reg-coolant. They use Prestone.

Neither hold the Temps DOWN, they raise the boiling levels which is the opposite of Anti Freeze (it doesn't keep the coolent warmer) which LOWERS the Freezing level. Your Thermostat and radiator regulate the temps ! Want it cooler, change the Thermostat to a 180 or 185 F, I think there're at 195 F as stock (not sure though) ! I have never seen the Temp Guages in my Bikes or Auto's change by using any anti freeze or water wetter/engine ice type additive :beerchug:

hit the nail on the head :beerchug:

Last edited:
Any of you guys running water wetter or engine ice remember to drain the block if the temps get below freezing....if it freezes (and it can) the block may well crack....

I just put in engine ice, and i also relocated the water temp sensor into the lower rad hose. Needle shows a few degrees cooler.It could be due to the fact that the sensor is now located out of the rad and in the feed hose itself.

Back