Gen 1 - ECU flash or PC?

tedbull

Registered
Hey guys, I have been thinking about having some dyno tuning done on my 07 Busa. I am not really looking to get any power gains, I just want the low and mid to be as smooth as possible.

Can the Gen 1 ECU be flashed and tuned to achieve what I want? Or should I get a PC3 or PCV? The bike does not have any intake or exhaust mods right now. But I do plan to get some slip on's for noise and looks.

There is a really good tuner in my area who can do the work and I am waiting to hear back from him. But you guys would know best I am sure. I figured I would ask, rather than drop the cash on a PC if I did not need to.

Ted.

read up on the ecueditor software...from what i've seen done to a Bking with it and the Boostbysmith kit its every bit as good as a PC and a fraction of the price...plus it doesn't need any dismantling under the tank and can do a lot more than just tuning
ECU Flashing

You're asking if old outdated technology is as good and new up to date stuff. ECU editor is hands down better and can do far more things.

To me it's the same as asking you if you want to watch your favorite move on and old tv with a VHS tape or on a hi-def tv and a blu-Ray player. Both do the same thing one is just much better.

If the ecu edit is within budget that is the best way to get what you want done. You can get edit kits and software for like $150 and do it yourself. Some people don't want the liability of frying the ECU so they pay a tuner to do it.

I have both an edited ECU and a PCV. There are lots of dyno tuners that know how to tune with the PCIII, PCV, etc,. but not necessarily the ECU editor. That's my situation.

Also, it takes longer to tune using the ECU editor. You can make changes to the PC on the fly, but you have to reflash the ECU each time you make a change. ECU Editor would ultimately be the best way to go, but only if you have someone who can use it correctly.

I have not seen any hard data that a ECU tune is better on a Gen 1. The Gen 2 ECU's rock. The Gen 1 leave quite a bit on the table. My advice would be to find what a tuner in your area likes to tune with and use that. That will most likely be a PCV. If a tuner is unfamiliar with the ECU Editor, he could make things much worse for you. With the PCV, you can also buy the Autotune. I can't see where you would go wrong there.

I have not seen any hard data that a ECU tune is better on a Gen 1. The Gen 2 ECU's rock. The Gen 1 leave quite a bit on the table. My advice would be to find what a tuner in your area likes to tune with and use that. That will most likely be a PCV. If a tuner is unfamiliar with the ECU Editor, he could make things much worse for you. With the PCV, you can also buy the Autotune. I can't see where you would go wrong there.

The local tuner called me back today. Said that he could flash my ECU no problem and tune the fueling. ECU flash and dyno for $150. The guy is very well known and has a reputation for excellent work. Here is his website. Suzuki | 2 Wheel DynoWorks

I had a PCV and autotune on my 08 GSXR 1000. Along with the Leo Vince Ti SBK corsa race system it ran sweet and made some good power. I liked having the AFR gauge, and the auto tune seemed to work well and was not difficult to setup. The guy I sold the bike to took it straight to a dyno and said the bike was putting out 195 RWHP the way I had it setup. Said the tuners where surprised and impressed. Not sure how accurate the numbers were.

But the busa isn't going to the track, I will be using it for touring and commuting so I think a ECU tune and some slip ons will be the extent of power mods. Don't want to spend the cash on a PCV and Autotune.

The local tuner called me back today. Said that he could flash my ECU no problem and tune the fueling. ECU flash and dyno for $150. The guy is very well known and has a reputation for excellent work. Here is his website. Suzuki | 2 Wheel DynoWorks

I had a PCV and autotune on my 08 GSXR 1000. Along with the Leo Vince Ti SBK corsa race system it ran sweet and made some good power. I liked having the AFR gauge, and the auto tune seemed to work well and was not difficult to setup. The guy I sold the bike to took it straight to a dyno and said the bike was putting out 195 RWHP the way I had it setup. Said the tuners where surprised and impressed. Not sure how accurate the numbers were.

But the busa isn't going to the track, I will be using it for touring and commuting so I think a ECU tune and some slip ons will be the extent of power mods. Don't want to spend the cash on a PCV and Autotune.

You're a lucky fella. It's hard to find a person around here who can tune with the ECU.

Personally, I will never run another Power commander.

All they are doing is tricking the ECU, IMO. Not to mention I had issues with mine, and running nitrous is a lotsafer with the Editor than a PC

O.P. here. I just got back from the tuner. Had the fueling tuned thru the ECU with the Teka Tune module. Now I understand that this method only tunes in percentages, and is not as fine of a tune as the P.C. can offer or a full ECU unleashed tune. But for what I wanted and with the bike only having a pair of slip on's it was a great solution. On the ride home the results were very obvious. The bike is much smoother and responsive. With a small bump in HP and torque. Only cost me $150. I am happy. Here are the charts.

img131_zps229b534f.jpg

img130_zps1a09a437.jpg

Never herd of Teka but from a little reading it looks kinda like a Yosh-box. not quite the same as an ECU Editor tune. Good numbers though!

Teka has been around for quite awhile. Factory Pro tool. It is like a Yosh box and it only does fuel adjustments. ECU editor even on Gen Is is still hands down more versatile than the PC hardware. The manufacturer uses a ECM to run your bike not a PC. Also they tune the bike from the ECU not a piggyback. ECU tuning in general has been around a lot longer than people seem to understand. It just took some time for a few gutsy and curious enthusiasts to bring out the opportunity for all us laymans.

Sure it takes more time to tune a bike from the ECU but a well seasoned tuner as well as one that has saved many tuned .bin files can still do it in a reasonable amount of time. You can still use some sort of data logging or to assist so the time decreases on tuning.

O.P. here. I just got back from the tuner. Had the fueling tuned thru the ECU with the Teka Tune module. Now I understand that this method only tunes in percentages, and is not as fine of a tune as the P.C. can offer or a full ECU unleashed tune. But for what I wanted and with the bike only having a pair of slip on's it was a great solution. On the ride home the results were very obvious. The bike is much smoother and responsive. With a small bump in HP and torque. Only cost me $150. I am happy. Here are the charts.

img131_zps229b534f.jpg

img130_zps1a09a437.jpg

Wow he is a magical tuner 17 minutes and 6 pulls. something isn't correct

Hey guys, I have been thinking about having some dyno tuning done on my 07 Busa. I am not really looking to get any power gains, I just want the low and mid to be as smooth as possible.

Can the Gen 1 ECU be flashed and tuned to achieve what I want? Or should I get a PC3 or PCV? The bike does not have any intake or exhaust mods right now. But I do plan to get some slip on's for noise and looks.

There is a really good tuner in my area who can do the work and I am waiting to hear back from him. But you guys would know best I am sure. I figured I would ask, rather than drop the cash on a PC if I did not need to.

Ted.

sounds like performance isn't a big deal to ya, for a busa owner - really? :poke: But anyway if you're going to get slip-ons later I would say go ahead and get them now before you do any kind of tuning and be done with it when you get around to getting it done! If you put slip-on's later, your bike will pop & backfire on decelerating and especially if engine braking. A little embarassing. Plus it if you want smooth, then it will need to be tuned again. Changing the exhaust, air filter or anything may or may not improve the bikes performance or smoothness unelss you get it tuned to go with it.

Which do you choose- ECU editor or PCV w/dyno custom tune? Wow good question, but my mechanic told me that he would never introduce voltage to the ECU for fear of damaging it. Now I also have to get the Bazazz Z-Bomb module too if I want to override the top speed limiter plus my gear indicator on my dash will always say "5" gear. Not sure how else I can remove the 1st thru 4th gear timing restrictions, remove fuel soft cut and adjust the secondary throttle plates. "SixPack" just taught me a bit on that.

I wish I knew more about it myself but very few people on Earth know this kind of thing unless you know where to find them.

sounds like performance isn't a big deal to ya, for a busa owner - really? :poke: But anyway if you're going to get slip-ons later I would say go ahead and get them now before you do any kind of tuning and be done with it when you get around to getting it done! If you put slip-on's later, your bike will pop & backfire on decelerating and especially if engine braking. A little embarassing. Plus it if you want smooth, then it will need to be tuned again. Changing the exhaust, air filter or anything may or may not improve the bikes performance or smoothness unelss you get it tuned to go with it.

Which do you choose- ECU editor or PCV w/dyno custom tune? Wow good question, but my mechanic told me that he would never introduce voltage to the ECU for fear of damaging it. Now I also have to get the Bazazz Z-Bomb module too if I want to override the top speed limiter plus my gear indicator on my dash will always say "5" gear. Not sure how else I can remove the 1st thru 4th gear timing restrictions, remove fuel soft cut and adjust the secondary throttle plates. "SixPack" just taught me a bit on that.

I wish I knew more about it myself but very few people on Earth know this kind of thing unless you know where to find them.

You need the "marble mod" or p.a.i.r. valve removed to stop the popping on deceleration.
Regardless if the bike has a stock a/f tune or not.
The options in Ecu Editor for gen1 and 2 are different.
The gen1 also does not have secondary throttle plates.

Wow he is a magical tuner 17 minutes and 6 pulls. something isn't correct

Yeah, not sure what that is about. He had the bike on the dyno for an hour and made a lot of pulls. Let the bike cool. And made some more pulls.

I value performance, don't get me wrong. Its just the busa has enough to satisfy my current needs. I have been there and done that with $2,500 full Ti system, PCV, wideband commander, Pair block off plates, BMC filter, etc on my last bike that I rode at the track/street (1000cc, 195rwhp, 350lbs). Not looking to spend money that is not needed this time around as the busa will be a street bike that I use for touring/commuting.

I did add a pair of yosh slip ons before the dyno tune. Wont be doing any more motor mods. The teka tune did what I needed. Bike rides smoother and more responsive.

Back