Gen 1 Clutch lever problem

Wallie

Registered
Greeting

Finally I get the bike out after a long winter and star doing some work to it. Before winter my lever was getting soft and first thing to came to my ind was I need to replace the clutch, O just got the clutch complete replacement and I just finish the installation put eventing back together. I am red to go for a ride and the clutch lever is still soft and I cannot shift or do anything. What could be the problem???? :please:Any help will be appreciated. I hope is an easy fix.

That wouldn't be your clutch. More than likely its your clutch master or slave cylinder failing, Id say just get rebuild kits for both, bleed the system with new fluid, and while you're at it, if you don't have a steel braided line, get one.

well I guess I going to look it up and see if I can do it. I not a mechanic but I can try just like I did with the clutch. youtube help me a lot. I will l]youtube this one too.

That wouldn't be your clutch. More than likely its your clutch master or slave cylinder failing, Id say just get rebuild kits for both, bleed the system with new fluid, and while you're at it, if you don't have a steel braided line, get one.

Any video from youtube that can look for reference. :please:

well I guess I going to look it up and see if I can do it. I not a mechanic but I can try just like I did with the clutch. youtube help me a lot. I will l]youtube this one too.

Rebuilding the master cylinder is a lot easier. If you did the clutch yourself the master cylinder will be no problem. Word of advice whenever bleeding the clutch or the brakes...use a vacuum bleeder it is easier, less headaches and less time consuming.

You can look to see if the slave cyl flexes or is cracked...it might be worth the time to open it back up and double check the parts / stack order just to rule that out. To bleed the clutch a vacuum pump type bleeder makes the job very easy...just keep the reservoir full / near the top

There could be so many things wrong here. Like starting with the clutch itself....:whistle:

RSD.

You can look to see if the slave cyl flexes or is cracked...it might be worth the time to open it back up and double check the parts / stack order just to rule that out. To bleed the clutch a vacuum pump type bleeder makes the job very easy...just keep the reservoir full / near the top
Cracked sprocket cover will definitely screw up the way the lever feels and depressing the clutch!! I should have thought of that but haven't seen that happen in a while. Good thinking :beerchug:

Moms bike had the same sort of issue with her brake, rebled it last year and it was alright, took it out and it was super soft again. You could test my theory pretty easily by rebleeding it. But really, take the simple stuff first,clutch hydraulic fluid level, things like that. A clutch really doesn't seem to degrade like that. Its possible, whenever I hear "I'm not a mechanic" and "I replaced a clutch" I tend to get a little worried. If something happened with the actual mechanical of the clutch, then you've got more issues. A clutch going out would slip under power and things, a soft lever definitely makes me think hydraulic problems.

Moms bike had the same sort of issue with her brake, rebled it last year and it was alright, took it out and it was super soft again. You could test my theory pretty easily by rebleeding it. But really, take the simple stuff first,clutch hydraulic fluid level, things like that. A clutch really doesn't seem to degrade like that. Its possible, whenever I hear "I'm not a mechanic" and "I replaced a clutch" I tend to get a little worried. If something happened with the actual mechanical of the clutch, then you've got more issues. A clutch going out would slip under power and things, a soft lever definitely makes me think hydraulic problems.

When I said I am not a machanic what I referring to is that I do not do this for a leaving. I done other work in my busa, if you are smart enough and handy with the tolls things can get accomplish. What i need here is some direction catching the plates, doing the brakes, oil change and changing a tire yourself and doing some other stuff is not a big deal. what I am doing here is asking my bus friend for suggestion and a little beef help.

by the way thanks guys for all the replies and going to start by the simple thing. I just notice yesterday the reservoir is empty so I going to check the line and see why my clutch leer got soft. once again thank you and if you have any other suggestions keep the coming.

If the Reservoir is empty that's a big sign. Refill it and bleed it out real good and I bet you will be fixed. You still might want to consider rebuilding the master and the slave or replacing them. Because that fluid had to go somewhere.

Yeah, I'd say the slave myself, its open for a lot of abuse with sand, grease, mudmud, water, whatever. Mime kept using fluid, sure enough, it was leaking through the slave cylinder seal. If you do that job be sure you clean it out really well, polish up the cylinder real nice and lube it with high quality brake fluid.

I don't make a living working on bikes either, I just tend to know a lot about my busa and problem solving, didn't intend to offend, hope you get her fixed soon!

Sounds like this would be an excellent time to go with a SS clutch line and maybe SS brake lines while your at it - IF you don't have them already.

Yeah, I'd say the slave myself, its open for a lot of abuse with sand, grease, mudmud, water, whatever. Mime kept using fluid, sure enough, it was leaking through the slave cylinder seal. If you do that job be sure you clean it out really well, polish up the cylinder real nice and lube it with high quality brake fluid.

I don't make a living working on bikes either, I just tend to know a lot about my busa and problem solving, didn't intend to offend, hope you get her fixed soon!

Do not worry non taken. I have to fix her soon.

This is what I was looking for, now I have an idea what needs to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back