Gen 1 CHEC light no fuel prime or start - Fix

Throttletube

Registered
So I had to tow my bike last Sunday when it suddenly decided to not startup after a good run when i stopped for refreshments and the dash CHEC light came on without any power going into the fuel system and the starter relay. I checked all the fuses from the side stand relay at the front left fuse box to the main fuse next to the battery on the side of the frame rail, but couldn't figure out what it was. I thought I certainly short circuited some thing as I used a USB charger connected to the battery with a built in fuse. Everything in that system was fine, no fuse was blown and I finally had to tow the bike after a few hours of trying to figure out what went wrong when everything was just fine.

I read on the manual that the side stand relay, the fuel pump relay and the starter relay are all linked and when one of them had a fault the CHEC light comes on without the ability to even read the codes. When I was about to check connectivity and resistance on the electricals I noticed that the 4 or 3 pin connector and the two pin connector leading to the starter had a build up of grease or gunk. It was just these two connectors as they were hanging just above the chain. I am guessing it could have been excess chain lube that had got onto these connectors so I cleaned it up with contact cleaner thoroughly and voila it was alive again.

It would be better to surround the wire harness with these connectors with some type of rubber weather resistant boot as it sits above the chain rail, so as a preventative maintenance to keep every connector in that harness free from debris and grease as it is just above the chain rail. I don't know if it is just with my bike but I hope it comes covered from the factory with some rubber boots to protect it.

If anyone has a similar problem, check the connections for dirt and build up first without ordering parts or giving it to a dealer, it could simply be a 5 min job with some contact cleaner spray to get the bike running again. Hope this helps someone.

Ride safe!

Back